air pump

Discussion in 'Air Pumps' started by cbowlincatfish, Dec 4, 2012.

1. cbowlincatfish

cbowlincatfish Valued Member Member

From what I am reading, seems most all have an air pump, I use to have one but,
    haven't ran my tank with a pump in 4 years and have never been told that I had to have 1, my hob does a good job at circulating the water. If this is needed please advise

2. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

Only time I use air pump is if the tank has a sponge filter or I am uping the heat in the tank to have more oxygen in it.

3. lucky strike 21

lucky strike 21 Well Known Member Member

i think most people use them because they look nice personally i always have air pumps running on my tanks even with a power filter but that's just because im paranoid my fish aren't getting enough oxygen

4. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

They usually aren't needed. I run a lot of sponge filters so I use air.

5. OP
    OP
    cbowlincatfish

cbowlincatfish Valued Member Member

Thanks

6. p

plecodragon Well Known Member Member

All of my tanks have air stones with air pumps running them. More then once they have saved me when my filter for one reason or another quit. They kept the air circulating until I fixed the filters. People with planted tanks with CO2 don't usually have airstones running all the time as it affects the co2 with the surface bubbling. It is usually a personal decision as some people love them and others can't stand the extra noise.

7. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum

I don't own an air pump - you're not alone.

Yes, good filtration will provide good oxygen levels. Circulation is also important, and in small tanks an air stone is a good way of eliminating dead spots. HOB filters aren't the greatest at circulating water throughout the tank.

8. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I'm with JaySee and do not use air pumps. However, I also have Wet/Dry filtration so they are not necessary for my tanks. As long as you have sufficient surface water movement then one should not be necessary. JaySee mentioned dead spots and too, using an air stone can prevent the build up of surface scum.

Of course if you see your fish gasping at the surface for air, add an air pump immediately. It doesn't hurt to have one on hand just in case.

Some fish and critters may like to play in the bubbles. :)

Ken

9. f

fishlover123456 New Member Member

i one two punch with a power filter and air pump will be amazing especially if the air goes to a air stone i loves your idea

be careful with delicate fish though because they probably wont like the bubles

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice