Air Pump Use

1. jbdub Member Member

Hi All,

I'm using a dual valve pump at the moment and it's connected to two long air stones(about 8 inches)

Between the two air stones and my filter the current in the tank can get quite strong. I've taken to only putting the air pump on for about 5 hours a day now as a result.

Question is do you think only using it intermittently can have a negative efftect? Trying to avoid stressing the fish!!

2. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

No, I run my air pump at night only, so no I don't think it cause stress (my reasons are my plants provide O2 during the day, air pump neutralises CO2 at night - it's a whole topic on it's own)

I don't understand what you mean by a strong current, and what the airstones have to do with it? Generally air stones provide bubbles that go straight to the top of the tank?

Are your fish showing signs of stress atm?

3. jbdub Member Member

The outflow valve from the filter(fluval 305) is strong creating a mild enough current in the water. However when the two air stones are on it all combines and somehow the current gets stronger, I really notice it when feeding.
    Fish don't seem stressed but sometimes they are avoiding the part of the tank with the air stones.
    I may be making something from nothing but just wanted some other peoples thoughts.

4. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

I think you'll find it's the air bubbles the fish don't like, not the current as such. I had an airstone running along the substrate and the fish would avoid the air wall.

A healthy fish should generally be ok with strongish currents. If the fish don't seem stressed, and are swimming ok, then IMO it's ok.

5. toosie Well Known Member Member

6. jbdub Member Member

Thats not a bad idea i'll have a look

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

If you have sufficient surface water movement and or wet/dry filtration, then air stones are not necessary. (planted tanks w/CO2 may be different).

However, if you see your fish at the surface gasping for air, then add an air stone/supply line immediately.

If your aquarium water temperature is above 80, then you may want to add an air stone at this time too. Warmer water requires more oxygen for the fish.

I do not use them in any of my tanks. I have wet/dry filtration that adds oxygen into the water on both of my tanks. I keep my tank temps at 80.

Ken

8. jbdub Member Member

Well the tank hood has two pretty big bulbs which are raising tank temp, its always between 78 and 80. I'm fine with that though because it fits in the range needed by the fish I have.
    The tank is planted as well but not heavily so.
    I think you're right I probably don't need it but I may just air on the side of caution(awful pun NOT intended) and keep it on for 4-5 hours a day.

I'm also toying with the idea of leaving just one air stone connected and using the second valve to get a brine shrimp hatchery going:;ot