Air pump too big for tank size?

Dbubble

If you use a bleed valve, is there such thing as too big of an air pump for tank size?
For example, I have an air pump rated for 60-100 gallons. I also have a pump rated for 10-20 gallons. I was hoping to put the smaller pump in my 5 gallon tank that houses albo pleco fry, and then put the larger pump in my 20 gallon tank that has mostly bottom feeders.
If I create a bleed valve, would this be plausible? I'd like some input before I go cutting and rearranging my airline tubing. Thanks!

Flyfisha

No problem Dbubble .
As you have a clear understanding of the importance of a bleed valve you know what to do .

You can run one outlet on a pump designed to run multiple outlets just as you describe by bleeding off unused air.

I have done and still do that.

Currenty running two pumps with bleed off valves.
A large 70 ish litres per minute with a 1/2 inch hose as a bleed off in the ceiling of the garage.
And this little 4 outlet pump that can run four tanks in a temporary setup on the cold bathroom floor.
image.jpg
This pump has four outlets . It has one hose that’s open and another running though a valve . One the has a cloths peg as a stop and one outlet running filters.

Sorry it seems the more I write the more complicated I am making it sound?

You can do exactly what you write no problem.

As I have waffled on about nothing I might as well post a picture of this tank on the cold bathroom floor I write of?
I am getting rice fish adjusted to cooler temperatures having started life in a hot fish room . After a few weeks they are going outside.
image.jpg

Upvote 0

Dbubble

No problem Dbubble .
As you have a clear understanding of the importance of a bleed valve you know what to do .

You can run one outlet on a pump designed to run multiple outlets just as you describe by bleeding off unused air.

I have done and still do that.

Currenty running two pumps with bleed off valves.
A large 70 ish litres per minute with a 1/2 inch hose as a bleed off in the ceiling of the garage.
And this little 4 outlet pump that can run four tanks in a temporary setup on the cold bathroom floor.
image.jpg
This pump has four outlets . It has one hose that’s open and another running though a valve . One the has a cloths peg as a stop and one outlet running filters.

Sorry it seems the more I write the more complicated I am making it sound?

You can do exactly what you write no problem.

As I have waffled on about nothing I might as well post a picture of this tank on the cold bathroom floor I write of?
I am getting rice fish adjusted to cooler temperatures having started life in a hot fish room . After a few weeks they are going outside.
image.jpg
Awesome set up and good to know its being done successfully!

Upvote 0

RayClem

If the pump puts out too much pressure for the application, the diaphragm and flapper valves in the pump will wear out more quickly. You can use a bleed valve to avoid this issue, but the pump will be noisy due to the bleed off.

It is best to size a pump for the application, but if you have a functioning pump, there is no need to replace it until it fails or you get annoyed with the noise.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
CTYankee79
Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views
Sanderguy777