Air pump suitable for fry

Discussion in 'Air Pumps' started by Shedzy1985, Jul 20, 2015.

1. S

Shedzy1985 New Member Member

Hi. I found some Molly Fry in my tank a couple of days ago. I currently have them in a floating breeder tank, but I bought a small 24litre tank to transfer them to when it's ready. I'm running the filter that came with it in my main tank until it's ready, maybe 2-3 weeks? I'll syphon the water from my main tank when it's time. I have a heater, but still need an air pump. Can anyone recommend one suitable for that size tank and safe for fry?

Much thanks, Amy xxx

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

If you have a small filter for the fry tank then you don't need an air pump as well

3. OP
    OP
    S

Oh right ok, I hadn't realised that. Would it be better for the fry if I added an air pump anyway? How long would you suggest I leave the filter in the main tank before setting up the little one? xx

Much thanks, Amy xxx

4. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

In a small tank with the filter it may produce too much movement for the fry so I wouldn't use one, a couple of weeks should be long enough to seed the filter unless you have a lot of fry.
    You could take some of the established media from your main filter & put it in the small one, that way you could move the fry & small filter into the fry tank sooner, just carefully monitor the water

5. OP
    OP
    S

That helps so much, thank you coradee :) I only have 3 Molly fry at the moment, pretty sure I saw another one in there but it is hiding well xx

Much thanks, Amy xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice