Air pump selection for rack of 8 - 10 gallons

SchoolofFish

Setting up 8 /10 gallon aquariums with Sponge Filters. Is there a go to for what size air pump that would work well? I am familiar with using a pump, and valves, but I’m not sure how to select one/ or multiple that will adequately support these tanks. Recommendations much appreciated!

BigManAquatics

I used the 4-outlet air pump from Imagitarium when i had my 10 gal rack. If you use gang valves or something like it, should provide you with more than adequate air for 8 sponge filters. Was around $30 for the pump at Petco.

Edit: also, Danner makes a 4 outlet pump, think it is called the Superflow AP-8. Have ben happy with the smaller models of their air pumps. Might find at an LFS, if not, they should be on amazon.

Flyfisha

Hi ScloolofFish,
Are you familiar with using a bleed off air line ? This is to avoid premature failure from back pressure.

You will need around of 1-5 litres of air per minute per sponge or a little less.

The brand of pumps that aquarium co -op sell is one of the quietist pumps around. They were only selling one size but many sizes are sold.
DC2575F6-1140-4B38-81DD-3EF0EE08D15F.jpeg

SchoolofFish

Thank you both! I will look up your recommendations. I am not familiar with bleed off lines - so I’ll have to do some digging in the search. I appreciate your assistance so much!

Flyfisha

I am out of the house so can’t find a good video on back pressure prevention. Basically you have an air line or 3 running with as much air blowing as possible. You only close off the waste air line a little at a time until you enough pressure to run the filters.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
SanDiegoRedneck
  • Question
Replies
Views
Sanderguy777
  • Question
Replies
Views