Air pump? Or should I just get a couple power heads? 55 Gallon Tank

1. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Well my 55 gallon that we just converted into a saltwater tank I am actually having problems with. The top of the water is getting almost a film on the top. I have a fluval 305 running on it and I really don't have any other problems outside the top.

The biggest reasoning for use considering not getting the power heads is originally we had seahorses in this tank and now we have non reef safe fish but if we go back to the seahorses because we don't want them blowing around.

I've been considering getting an air pump just to break up the top of the water.

What do you think I should do?

Maybe get some smaller power heads just so that they keep the water moving or what?

2. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

plumb it for a sump and your overflow box will skim all that crud off the surface

3. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Just bought the fluval we won't be replacing the filter anytime soon unfortunately. Our other tank has a sump and I love it but this tank is keeping the fluval.

4. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Put a powerhead at each end of the tank, sort of aimed towards the top of the tank to keep the surface agitated.