Air Pump Noise - Harmful to Fish???

bill smith

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I did spent a few hours over the last 2 weeks trying to find legitimate information of aeration of fish aquariums and the level of noise that is imparted to the fish. If you put your ear to a fish tank that has a bubblemaker, you would realize that this is a very loud noise. I am biased....I hate bubblemakers, but was reconsidering using one in order to increase the current flow at the corner of one of my tanks. Does anyone have a concrete reference to direct me to??? (besides saying "I have used bubblemakers for years and my fish are fine")

Thanks.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!

Generally so long as your filter is providing surface agitation, there is no need for a bubbler.

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a 55 as well, I have a Hob that provides a little surface agitation on one side and a canister with the spray bar below the surface on the other side so it doesn't provide agitation at all. I think you don't need a bubbler and from what I've read (no sources specifically) bubblers don't add much oxygen anyways.

Sent from my D6616 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
SmilingJocker said:
I think the fish get used to it... Small and big waterfalls are common in streams, lakes and rivers after all.
Not so much. Some species of fish like almost stagnant water.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom