Air pump muffler

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by cyber99fish, May 15, 2006.

1. cyber99fishNew MemberMember

Got a small noise problem with my 30gal.   I recently moved an air pump from another tank to run a stone in the corner.  The pump is WAY more noisy than i expected.   The filter is hardly audible but man, that pump should be in my garage filling my car tires.   Any thoughts on muffling or muting the buggers??   Perhaps a smaller pump?   I'm not at home so I can't quote the size.  It's a size or 2 bigger than the smallest in the pet store.

I heard about running a bleed valve to let out some pressure and better regulate air flow.

I have a small towel under it as well.

2. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

I wrap some of mine in small towels to quieten them down.
    Carol

3. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

Sometimes it's the quality of the pump and they just get noisy. I find quality counts in these and try tightening the screws on it, that helped mine a LOT, it becames super quiet.

4. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

The first air pump I bought at my LFS was a total disaster. I asked for a silent airpump for a 30G tank. They gave me a LOUD one for like a 50G tank. It cost me $40 and they said it was a great product. Being a beginner then I believed their every word. I brought the airpump home and set it up. It was so loud I could not sleep and had to turn it off. I returned it to the store the next day and complained how loud it was and that they told me it was supposed to be quiet while it was the opposite. This time I chose my own airpump -  a Whisper Tetra for up to 40 gallons (for 2 of my tanks, one 10G and the other 30G). This airpump is virtually silent. I cannot hear it at all. I'd recommend this airpump to anyone who wants a good airpump that is silent and very effective in general. Now I can see why they tried to sell me this airpump: it cost $40. Thank God I didn't let them fool me and returned the product the next day. I changed it for a pump that cost a little bit more than half the price of the LOUD and expensive one (around $25). This is another lesson not to trust LFS sellers. I am not saying they all know nothing, but certainly MOST of them know very little about fish-keeping. It's best to do your own research, always.

If you can, Cyber, exchange the air pump for a quiet one, because if your current airpump is loud ... well that's just the way this product is made. Why struggle with it? Get the quality that you deserve for the price you pay.

5. cyber99fishNew MemberMember

Found the problem... Lot's of back pressure running the single airstone created excessive noise. a 2 way valve allowed me to bleed off some pressure, much less noise.

;D

6. vinWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, you should be running a backflow or check valve anyway to avoid any potential backdraw or syphon situation from a power failure...The last thing you'd want to have happen is have a power failure, have water back up into your air pump and the power come back on......ZAP! There go your fish.....and anything around it......

7. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

LOL, my airpump once fell into a bucket full of water ... yes it did ... but thanks God it wasn't on! After it got totally soaked I was convinced it wasn't going to work ever again. I waited until it dried completely and guess what, nothing happened to it at all, lol. I was surprised and glad at the same time that I didn't have to spend another 20 or 30 bucks on another airpump.

8. cyber99fishNew MemberMember

Oh, and yes I have a check valve as well. ;) Hope this thread helps someone else. Backpressure with a simple bladder style pump = noise.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice