Air pump modify, safe?

newbietetra

Hi

I just opened my small airpump to check the diaphram, because this pump seems to have gotten a bit noisier.
The diaphram looks perfect. Then, I decided to move the Magnet slightly more away from the Coil (see pic below). With a plier, I bent the metal arm on the diagphram. You can see that the Magnet is now slightly tilted with respect to the Coil , and this put the Magnet slightly further away from the Coil. I put the cover back on. And, it appears to be working great!
It is so quiet. But the air flow is slightly reduced. I use it on a small sponge filter for a 10-gallon tank. So this air flow is probably good enough.

Question:
Just to be on the safe side, what I did there...does it have any adverse effect on the pump coil, in terms of safety or longifity?

p.s. The pump seems to run a bit warmer after my modification.

IMG_2780.jpg

yukondog

It will be OK, the reason it's not as strong is because the magnet is farther away from the coil. I never bend the arm but loosen up the screw holding the coil and if there is room to move the coil back a little, if not enough play in the screw hole you could drill it just a little to make the hole slightly bigger but to be honest there so cheap it's easier to just replace.

newbietetra

I never bend the arm but loosen up the screw holding the coil and if there is room to move the coil back a little, if not enough play in the screw hole you could drill it just a little to make the hole slightly bigger but to be honest there so cheap it's easier to just replace.
My pump is mini size. So, there's no space to move the coil. I should have bought a normal-size pump instead.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Broggy
Replies
Views
coralbandit
Replies
Views
Hunter1
  • Question
Replies