Air Pump For 5.5 Gallon

1. smileyguppy

smileyguppy New Member Member

Hi all,

I want to get an air pump with an air stone for my 5.5 ADA mini m aquarium. The only one that comes up on search that looks half decent is the "Marina Cool Air Pump". Having never purchased an air pump OR an air stone before, I'm wondering what the best one is and what I will need to have it up and running.

Thanks for your reply.

-SG

2. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

Very simple. Buy enough air hose an the air stone you want. Hook one end of the air tubing to the pump and the other end to the air stone. Put the air ston in the tank where you want it and plug in the pump.

3. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

I like the tetra whispers, and they come with a control valve already, but you would need to purchase a check valve to prevent back siphoning your whole aquarium onto your floor. The tetra whisper 10 is fine for a 5.5 gallon, I have a tetra40 running full on my 10g. I highly recommend them, they are very quiet unless something is touching them/ laying on top of them.

4. A

AquaPro247 Valued Member Member

I agree with ^. I used to have a tetra whisper 10 on my 5.5 gallon betta tank and it worked great! I used it to run a sponge filter and kept it on 24/7 a day with no issues. These things are super quiet and convenient to work with. Ran mine for several years before taking down the tank and it still works great! They are a great investment which you won't regret, plus, they are inexpensive.

5. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

Whisper is one of the 1st brands of aquarium air pumps ever made and Ive used them for years but...get a Fusion. I have one large enough to run 3 regular airstones. It is not only a great performer, its so quiet that you have to look in the tank to see the bubbles to even know it's running.

6. ELON MOLLUSK

ELON MOLLUSK Valued Member Member

I agree with a lot of the folks up top. If you plan on just running the 5.5 with it just buy a cheap whisper for under ten bucks. They are good for a sponge filter/ air stone and they are quiet