Air Pump For 29g Aquarium

MushroomMang

Hey, planning to get an air pump for my aquarium this evening and would like some advice. It's a 29 gallon tank and have been looking at tetra whisper sir pump 30-60. Gonna place it under the stand so I need the check valve. Should I get something to adjust the pressure as well since I don't think it has any settings. Also what would you recommend attaching to it? Just a bubble wand? I've been thinking of getting a big coral/rock bubble fixture since my tank is kind of bare with just a skull and few plants. Problem I had before with ornaments is fish getting stuck in them.

So what air pump would y'all reccomend? Does the Tetra whisper 30-60 sound like a good choice? Also what do you recommend attaching to it. Just Want some more surface disruption because I fill my tank up to the top where the water from the filter isn't falling, but creating a stream like current. I'm planning on putting a sponge in front of that as well this evening to slow the current down since I feel it's a bit strong. Filter is a Aqua-Tech 30-60.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG2200.jpg
    IMAG2200.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 136

Culprit

I have the Tetra whisper 40 and I like it a lot. Quiet and powerfull. they make basically little needle valves, so you can adjust how much. It doesn't work by closing it off though, it just lets more and more air out a T the more you open it so you don't burn up your pump.

Really just get what you like and think will work the best. It doesn't really matter as long as its made for fish.

Nice tank!

Pescado_Verde

I have 2 UnicLife air pumps and am very happy with them. VERY quiet little units with some adjustment built in via a control knob. They claim to put out 4 liters per minute but who actually knows without putting a flow meter on them. I'm powering 2 airstones and a fairly large double sponge filter with just one. I also just got a Penn Plax 4 way manifold. Check valves are a must by the way to avoid inadvertently siphoning your tank out into your house.

MushroomMang

I got the Tetra 30-60 and hooked it up to a 12 inch air stone. I bought a gang valve and check valve but didn't see a point for the gang valve. The stone is pretty much directly under the intake to filter and the air is bubbling into it. It makes the mechanical filter sound different. Is that fine or do I need to get two smaller air stones and put one in each side of the intake so they aren't under it.

Added some ammonia removing sponges and we'll to slow the current

Attachments

• IMAG2221.jpg
    IMAG2221.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMAG2226.jpg
    IMAG2226.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 122

Culprit

You need to move it. When its under the filter intake and bubbling air into it the impeller is rattling around and getting hot with the air coming up, as its supposed to be lubricated/cooler with the water coming through. Just move it out from under so air is not sucked in. 2 smaller airstones would work, or mabye you could move it forward a bit or to one side?

MushroomMang

You need to move it. When its under the filter intake and bubbling air into it the impeller is rattling around and getting hot with the air coming up, as its supposed to be lubricated/cooler with the water coming through. Just move it out from under so air is not sucked in. 2 smaller airstones would work, or mabye you could move it forward a bit or to one side?

Yeah I ended up finding another thread the next morning that explained that. I ended up just moving it forward as you suggested. That puts it in almost the middle of the aquarium so I'm not sure if I prefer that or if I should do the two smaller ones on either side. My air pump does have two outputs that I bridged together for the one. Think I'm satisfied for now. What do ya think?
15331785689056514264365138550460.jpg
15331784115736360988625634172357.jpg
15331784407347054873047121482049.jpg

Pescado_Verde

One thing I've learned when it comes to stuff like where you place things...NOBODY is going to say "Oh, that looks wrong! You need to move it!".
Well, except if you're married, then that's just a part of life.
Great looking tank you have there!

MushroomMang

One thing I've learned when it comes to stuff like where you place things...NOBODY is going to say "Oh, that looks wrong! You need to move it!".
Well, except if you're married, then that's just a part of life.
Great looking tank you have there!

Haha true. Thank you.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Vinh
  • Question
Replies
Views
CTYankee79
Replies
Views