Air Pump Fell Into Tank! Help

Discussion in 'Air Pumps' started by Lacey D, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Lacey D

Lacey DWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +859
    Experience:
    Just started
    Title pretty much sums it up. I went downstairs today to check on my 27g guppy breeding tub, and discovered that their air pump, normally on the shelf beside them, had fallen INTO the tub. It was still running, crazily enough, and as I lifted it out, water was being pumped out like air. I quickly unplugged it, and now it is sitting air-line out side down in a container of rice. Is there anything else I can do/any hope, or should I order a replacement? I had a spare small Aquatop air pump, but I don't think it's strong enough to run air to the large sponge filter, air stone and the brine shrimp hatchery I normally have down there, all at once.
    Advice?
    The pump was a , and I loved it--so quiet!

The fish and snails in there are fine, btw. And I don't know how long it was in the tote--I fed them last night, and this was the first time I was in there today :/ I think the cat knocked it in, so that might have been last night or RIGHT before I got in there today, since she can't get into that room normally >_<

2. jjohnwm

jjohnwmWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I'm not sure what else you can do for the pump, except maybe take the casing off so that it dries off more quickly.

However...in future, if a pump or light or other electrical gizmo falls into your tank, DO NOT reach in and take it out without unplugging it first. Personally, I even try to remember to unplug my heaters before I reach into my tanks. Most of the instruction manuals for this gear even remind you to create a drip loop in the electrical cord, to prevent stray water drops from running into the device. Water and electricity...

3. OP
    OP
    Lacey D

Lacey DWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +859
    Experience:
    Just started
    I pulled it up by the cord, but I could see from the guppies swimming around it, that it was not shorting...yet. And yes, I had the drip loop going, and the pump was a good 4 inches from the tub and at only about an inch higher. No clue HOW the cat knocked it in, but I guess she did

4. jjohnwm

jjohnwmWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You can't really tell from the fish whether the pump's wiring is shorted to the water, because they are not grounded. Have you ever felt a tingle when accidentally touching a live wire? That's the warning that electricity is trying to go to ground, but your body isn't a good path so you barely feel it. Same for those fish; they're in water which is full of dissolved substances, making it an excellent conductor...but the water is isolated from ground by the glass tank. But when you reach into the tank, your feet on the floor or your other hand on a table or tank stand could complete the circuit and then you will feel it, and it won't be pleasant. Long and short: you were lucky.

Incidentally, you should replace the receptacle into which your aquarium gear is plugged with a GFCI type. This will sense a ground fault and turn the power off if one occurs, and the response is quick enough to protect you from harm if you happen to be part of the short.

5. Ricksza

RickszaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +66
    Experience:
    Just started
    My first step with my aquarium was the GFCI outlet, too much water to be worried about getting fried.