Air From Open Tank Aquarium Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by wowacs, Apr 19, 2019.

1. wowacsNew MemberMember

I have a 10 gallon aquarium with 6 neon tetras. I am using a cooling fan to keep the aquarium cool in summer when the temperature is getting hot. The cooling fan does evaporate water from the aquarium. while near the aquarium you can feel the air bouncing off after hitting the aquarium water. I read somewhere if the evaporation was agitated, microorganisms like bacteria and germs can also evaporate with the air. Should I be worried because I can not move the aquarium due to space and I stay most of the time in the same room near aquarium.

2. SarahMcGeeValued MemberMember

Probably not unless you have a compromised immune system or something. I'd be more worried about the humidity damaging things or just making it uncomfortable in the room. Make sure to do water changes on the tank and not just top it off because that would concentrate all the minerals and nitrate ect.

3. ystroutWell Known MemberMember

That probably wasn't the most accurate thing you read.

First, I'd estimate 95% of the beneficial bacteria lives in the filter, the rest is on the tank walls and décor. Even if that advice was true, the filter is completely submerged, it doesn't matter whether you use a HOB, sponge, or canister filter.

Secondly, no beneficial bacteria lives suspended in the water column. It all lives on the surfaces of the filter (and a little bit on tank décor).

Third, solids don't evaporate. Bacteria cells are a solid so they'll be left behind once water evaporates.

4. ystroutWell Known MemberMember

Oh wait are you worried about your own health or the fish tank cycle?

Either way, no, I don't think you have anything to worry about from the bacteria in the fish tank. The only noticeable affects you'd notice from increased evaporation is that it will be more humid in your house. Mold and bacteria does grow better when it's humid so if you have a compromised immune system it may be a slight issue, but the humidity from a 10 gallon tank will barely be noticeable so I wouldn't worry.

I have a 75 gallon (mostly covered tank), 14 gallon open tank, and 8 gallon open tank in my 1500 sq ft apartment living area. On super warm days I can barely notice the increased humidity.

If you're really worried about it, get a de-humidifier.