Air Bubbles coming from heater?!

azazelsfyre
50W included with my Aqueon setup, though this heater is currently in my smaller (~4g) tank because the little heater did not effectively heat. Seems to work fine, but there are air bubbles coming from it. Small, itty bitty ones, but they're coming pretty steady. I am alarmed because I had an old heater get water inside and heat my small tank to 100F through a malfunction. I'm watching the temp, no problems. Jw if this is a normal result of the water heating?

sirdarksol
If the water is heavily oxygenated, that may be the cause. However, you want to be sure of that. Are the bubbles building all over the surface, or are they coming from a specific point in the heater?
If they're coming from a specific point in the heater, unplug it, remove it from the tank, and have it replaced. There's likely water getting into the inner workings, which will, at best, reduce the heater's life span. At worst, it will overheat or short out potentially killing your fish or even damaging the tank or starting a fire.

ryanr
+1 SDS, was just about to post the same response

azazelsfyre
sirdarksol said:
If the water is heavily oxygenated, that may be the cause. However, you want to be sure of that. Are the bubbles building all over the surface, or are they coming from a specific point in the heater?
If they're coming from a specific point in the heater, unplug it, remove it from the tank, and have it replaced. There's likely water getting into the inner workings, which will, at best, reduce the heater's life span. At worst, it will overheat or short out potentially killing your fish or even damaging the tank or starting a fire.
This is complicated....I do have a heater that is ALWAYS covered in bubbles. It's also a very ineffective heater...
It looks like the bubbles are coming from the very bottom of the heater. Now I'm in a pickle. If this were my dorm, where the keep it at 80 constantly, it would be ok. But now that I'm at home, where my dad REFUSES to have the heater over 70, I can't go without a heater. This is my hospital tank. I have no money right now. I'll take it out, but what can I do...

sirdarksol
Well, if it's cracked, and if it's new, you should just be able to get it replaced (the fish will survive a little bit with a temp drop).

azazelsfyre
sirdarksol said:
Well, if it's cracked, and if it's new, you should just be able to get it replaced (the fish will survive a little bit with a temp drop).
He's really injured though. I just emailed Aqueon about getting it replaced. I figured that would be easier than going to Petco, which would involve arguing with my parents about getting there...also the no money thing...

jdhef
I hope this isn't the tank you were getting "tingles" from.

azazelsfyre
No. Other tank. Oh my gosh, I emailed Aqueon last night, and they simply replied with "HI Kathleen I will send you a replacement heater to you . ". Exaxtly like that. Nice!

bowcrazy
That's great! Don't you wish all problems could be solved that quick and easy.

azazelsfyre
Well, my erm, heater erm broke again, but can I have one for a 50 gallon tank? jkjk that's abusing the system

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom