1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Air bubbler in planted tank?

1. Mifuluhu

Mifuluhu Well Known Member Member

I read somewhere on this forum that an air bubbler will push out the CO2 and deprive plants....is this accurate? I've had tanks with artificial plants all my life and used air for O2 for fish. Won't the fish be lacking O2 without one?

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

It isn't that the bubbler"pushes out" the CO2 but that air exchange is increased by the disturbance on the water's surface. Gas exchange takes place at the interface between air and water anyway so your fish will have enough oxygen provided stocking, water volume and surface area are in balance ;)

Advertisement

3. OP
    OP
    Mifuluhu

Thanks for that clarification! Is the same true for the filtration? I use a canister that's rated for up to 75 gallons in a 20 because I got it cheap. Do I need to downgrade to reduce the water agitation?

Advertisement

4. Aquaphobia

If it's really disturbing the water's surface then yes, it will have the same effect. I'd be more concerned that the high flow would upset the fish:)

Is there any chance your canister is adjustable? How about getting a diffuser for the outlet hose?

Advertisement

5. OP
    OP
    Mifuluhu

It's a fluval and isn't adjustable. The fish don't mind.....barbs. I will check to see if fluval sells a spray bar or try to rig one out if tubing. Thanks

6. Aquaphobia

Fluval does sell spray bars! Not sure if they make all sizes but certainly some of them.

Should be fairly easy to rig one up though:)

7. OP
    OP
    Mifuluhu

[​IMG]

I used some pieces of tubing, punched holes in it and plugged the end for a DIY spray bar

8. Aquaphobia

Brilliant!:)

9. A

Andy N kat New Member Member

So to be clear the air bubbles hurts or help the plants ? What about the fish ? Sorry learning here also

10. Aquaphobia

Won't hurt the plants or the fish:) Gas exchange is a good thing for the fish and the amount o CO2 that might escape won't be enough to impact your plants significantly. If you're still worried you can always add a liquid carbon supplement like Excel;)

11. OP
    OP
    Mifuluhu

I have had the bubbler off for a day and converted my filter output to a spray this morning. The barbs are the same, the corys are much more active and the Frogbit is drying out. (I only put Frogbit in this tank for the barbs to snip at and decrease their munching on other plants).

I have good lighting and nutrients seem balanced based in algae growth, the CO2 is my concern. I want to stay low tech and avoid adding the equipment.

Isn't excel bad for certain plants??

12. Aquaphobia

Maybe sort of. Certain plants are sensitive to it but if started at a low dose may acclimate to it.

It's possible that the cories were bothered by the noise of vibrations from the air pump. That would be my guess anyway!

As for CO2 or carbon supplement, if you're doing low tech and everything is going on, then I wouldn't bother with it:)

13. OP
    OP
    Mifuluhu

The plants look good (except the sword which apparently I don't have the touch with) just not growing as fast as I'd like...lol. I'm not patient. I want to use growth for another tank.

The canister is a fluval 500 series so rather strong for the tank. I haven't done a nano in many years so it's newish to me again. I many need to downgrade if the spray doesn't settle things.

14. Aquaphobia

Does the sword have root tabs? They are very heavy foot feeders!

15. OP
    OP
    Mifuluhu

No I will try some. I got it from someone than tried it in my beta tank where it was dying (super low tech tank) so I moved it to my 20. Seems to be growing new leaves but the old ones aren't reviving. I'll try tabs for sure!

16. OP
    OP
    Mifuluhu

Okay I've had things without the bubbler and the intense blow from the filter output and a noticeable difference! My hornwort is suddenly growing an inch a day and my crypts are inches above their pot! Great advice here.....thanks so much

17. T

Teishokue Well Known Member Member

Don't think you guys answered the question. Air bubbler will not push co2 out but the capacity of molecules dissolved the the water will be occupied. Regulate with drop check measure co2. If you have enough plants with co2. Bubbles are not required