Air bubble?

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok, so yesterday morning I checked on RJ when I woke and he was perfectly fine, meaning there wasn't anything strange on him. When my husband and I came home from dinner and a movie with his family we both went to check on RJ. I prepared his dinner and Mike went to lift the top to play him with him . I have a ping pong ball in there for him to play with and he was looking at him and on his top fin he had kind of an air bubble on one of the rays. What is that, does anyone know? How did he get it? He's acting fine,eating fine, swimming fine. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I really do not know but is it staying there and will he let you touch him so you can see if it is something that will go away if touched or something like a blister? I have never heard of anything like it unless he has an actual bubble that he got from playing and it just stuck to him. Does he bubble dive in the airstone bubbles? Oh, and how does he like the pingpong ball? He does not sound sick but keep an eye on him and make sure that it goes away and more do not show up or it does not get bigger.

Let us know please, I am totally curious.

Rose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
As I was feeding him last night I was kind of touching it. But nothing would happen. He doesn't really play in the air stone bubbles no. I wish i can take pics of it and post them, but our computer is still down because our office is still torn apart from the remodel. He still had it this morning. He hasn't paid much attention to the ping ball yet. If we hit it oround in there he'll swim up to it and look at it, but he hasn't tried to poke at it yet. I will definitely keep an eye on it. Hopefully it'll go away on it's own. I have never seen anything like this before. It almost looks like someone blew a bubble with bubble gum. Natalie

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sounds like a new one to us too. Wish we had a definite answer, but it's stayed the same since you first noticed it?

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FLBettaCouple said:
Sounds like a new one to us too. Wish we had a definite answer, but it's stayed the same since you first noticed it?
Yeah as of yesterday morning it had stayed the same.

I checked on him when i got home from work and it was gone. So, I guess he's fine. Natalie

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hopefully it wasn't a tag left by the fish aliens!

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think he just wants to make sure I'm kept on my toes and he get's attention. The funny thing is where the bubble was there is now a hook ray on that ray.It looks like a fishing hook. He has a few of those on his bottom rays too, the hooks. They're pretty cool looking actually. Natalie

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Natalie, I am happy to hear they "mystery bubble" is gone and that RJ seems fine. Dave may have a point about the alien tag..........make sure RJ is still in his tank at night. ???....keep posting so we know you are all right....LOL Val

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
when the betta makes his bubble nest for breeding could that be the start of a nest it was a sticky bubble and it got caught on him.
mojo

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't know. He could've been. He likes to make his bubble nests inside the castle and cave, so he could've tried to make one in the cave he has right now in the hosp. tank and one may have gotten caught on him. That would've been quite funny if he was. LOL. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Natalie,

Watch any curls or crooks on the tips of the fins. Sometimes finrot gets started that way. Sometimes it is just a fancy fin. I am inclined to say with him being a Miami Aquarium Betta it is probably a fancy swirl but be on gaurd just in case.

Rose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Rose- I'll keep an eye on them, but I don't think it's fin rot at all. I think that's just how is fins are growing. They are not all like that. Only a few are. Thanks for the concern though. Natalie

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
nmwierman1977 said:
Rose- I'll keep an eye on them, but I don't think it's fin rot at all. I think that's just how is fins are growing. They are not all like that. Only a few are. Thanks for the concern though. Natalie
Sora's always had that on his front fins.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom