Aiptasia Problem

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Stocking' started by ShinyRedEmeraldCrabz, Aug 1, 2017.

1. ShinyRedEmeraldCrabz

ShinyRedEmeraldCrabz New Member Member

My mom wanted to buy some corals for my aquarium. So she went to the store and bought a colony of buttons and the worker asked her if she wanted anything more, then he pointed to a mushroom on a rock and said he could sell it for $15, the bad part is that the rock had aiptasias all over it. Now i'm trying to get rid of them ASAP! We ordered that thing to kill aiptasias. But well need to wait 1-2 weeks until it arrives, and the aiptasias are starting to spread!

I know that one store is selling aiptasia eating snails, but i can't buy them because they cost about $96 and my emerald crab would probably eat them. I also think that peppermint shrimps eat little aiptasias, but as i said, i have a emerald crab in the tank, and for some reason i don't think it's a good idea to have them both in the tank.

I searched for creatures who could eat the aiptasias, and then i found the aiptasia eating filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus). I could buy him, he's very cheap (only 3000-4000isk). But i am wondering if i could keep him. I know he wouldn't eat the emerald crab, but i am scared that the emerald crab could eat him. I am also worried about the coral nipping. According to live aquaria, he needs a minimum of 30 gallons, i have twice his demands, a 60 gallon so i know i could keep him.

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

Don't go for another fish/animal in the case of price as well as the general husbandry of another fish you may not be prepared for.

Try this for now:
    Go to a local pharmacy and ask for a 3mL syringe with a needle and tell them it's for you aquarium and why; hopefully they believe you and don't think your crazy :p. Anyways, get yourself a bottle of lemon juice (or fresh squeeze, but that's a lot of work). Take some of the lemon juice in the syringe and inject the snallest amount into the aptasia; the mouth would be best, but they often close to when you touch them, so anywhere is fine, really. They'll close up pretty quick a die in a few minutes and you can remove them; you may want to wear gloves since some are attached to your corals.

Don't do all of them at once (unless you have a few, but it sounds as if you have many). You'll only want to do a small section once a day so you don't cause a pH swing.

The only thing with filefish is that they can be a hit or miss concerning corals; they may turn to those when they get hungry/the food runs out. They're also a bit harder to maintain and quite sensitive; they usually don't live too long in the normal aquarium :/

Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. OP
    OP
    ShinyRedEmeraldCrabz

I don't know how many i have, every day i find new ones. They are also starting to move to my main rock work, where they will be almost impossible to remove completely. They are right now small, do you think i could double kill some that are near each other?

4. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, I think that should work; they may ingest some of the lemon juice if its close enough, direct injection does work better but the acidity may harm them enough to retract their growth and jump start their death :)

5. OP
    OP
    ShinyRedEmeraldCrabz

I eliminated some aiptasias by scratching the coral (a mushroom, the one with a lot of aiptasias) off the rock and threw it away, and now there are way less aiptasias to deal with. Thank you for your help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice