Ai Hydra 26 Mount For A Framed Tank

Discussion in 'Saltwater Tank Equipment' started by usayankee2002, Mar 4, 2018.

1. usayankee2002

usayankee2002New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    guys

Need some help. I have a 125 gallon framed tank that I am having trouble keeping my 3 AI Hydra 26 flex mounts mounted. There has to be a solution to use a mount that has a framed top. Any help is appreciated.

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,999
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Welcome to Fishlore, hope our salty members can help answer your question today

3. OP
    OP
    usayankee2002

usayankee2002New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Not yet, but called AI and they told me the flex arems are designed for rimless tanks. They recommended the AI Dual Arm HYDRA mounting kit. I ordered it yesterday and awiting delivery

4. Jesterrace

JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Experience:
    1 year
    And here I was thinking I was the only one with this problem. I am in the exact same boat and the flex arm mount and the standard 90 degree mount are both virtually worthless on rimmed tanks. The clamps catch the inner lip of the tank and will not get a good hold and the flex mount and the 90 degree mount both have the exact same clamps. I have heard of some devising a form of shim to make it fit, but I wouldn't trust all that extra weight on a home made shim. There are some who cut notches for the clamps on the inner rim of the tank, but I don't feel comfortable with that either. The dual arm rail mount is what I will be going with as it seems is the only option for those with rimmed tanks. Really frustrated with AI on this one. You would think for $150 for a pair of their cheapest mounts they could design one with a more universal mounting system. The clamp design is absolutely horrendous. They need to get this fixed as an otherwise fantastic light is hamstrung by a poor clamp mounting design.