Ahhhh!!! I'm Happy With This "little" Build Thing :) :) :)

tetratetris

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok.

Hi!

So last night I'm sitting there browsing fish stuff on youtube and BHAM! Idea. So, in my basement I a bunch of the plastic storage bins, some of them are in good condition and a good size. (I think you know were this is going

P.S. The bin is about 28 gallons

I see this stack on a shelf, one has a bunch of randomness in it and the other (stacked underneath it) I pull it out nearly ripping apart my fingernail in the process and check for scratches, none really, ok on now. I had researched a bit on threads about this quickly and some people had been concerned about long term chemical leakage from the plastic. Knowing this I leap into the anticlimactic internet research into aquarium/food/drink safe plastics and find that pp 5 (the plastic that makes up the bin) Is intact food and drink safe. I inferd that this would mean it should be aquarium safe. Just to be safe though I searched a bit more and my hypothesis was confirmed.

I grab the bin and head down to my garage, in my garage there is a "little" Black storage rack. I clear this of and slide the bin on to it. (I'd check the bin for leaks) I then poured in all of what was left of my washed gravel in about a 1-2" thick layer all around. I decide to mix in some of my sand with it just to add a bit more.

Now begins the o-so annoying process.

I grab a 2.5 gallon bucket and start my way on, fill up, go down 1 flight of stair and through 3 tight rooms, then back up. Over, and over, annnndddd oveerrrr. Until you get it full. At one point a friend of mine came and helped me out. I gave them a mixing bowl for my mixer to help. In the time it took to do 2 runs of that, it took to do one run with the 2.5 gallon. I thought this was a pretty good system to be efficient. Once I was in my garage on my way up and I hear upstairs "Uhhhhhh" and I knew what happened. On my way up the stir I go "Spilt water?" and to answer my question I see my friend on my kitchen floor with a towel sopping up a big puddle of water

P.S. If only my hose system wasn't broken I could've filled it up in a minute

Moving on once the "tank" was filled up I dosed it with conditioner and what not and set up my largest air stone. After trial and error instead of having 1 large and 2 small air stone I went with my one large as my pump couldn't really handle 3 at once.

Later the night I went down and shoved a few fake plants and driftwood into my "tank" (I'll probably get some real plant in the future though)

The next day (Today) I filled the tank up some more so I could reach the filter miniumun water level line (I went a bit over ~4" for safety) I dosed some more and then came here to write this.

If you've read this far than dang, you're either dedicated or as bored as me right now

Thanks!

P.S. I love this because I already had everthing and so I was somewhat free and now its not right in my face in the house, I don't know its just awesome.

I don't even know how to describe it just AHH

Also I don't worry about evaporation right know as its dry and cool down there and nothing ever evaporates, I can always get a lid. Another thing is that I'm going to get 2 heaters soon so anything sent freeze.

Any stocking Ideas are welcome

See ya

Lollipop0912

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I’m curious, do you have plans for fish? Do you have plans for plants? Now you have me all enthusiastic!

Duardo

Reaction score
Make sure the tank gets cycled properly before adding fish. But I'd just get something big because You won't be able to see your fish other than a top view so bright and colorful works. Or maybe a ton of cherry barbs, colorful and bright and a big school would be intrresting

OP
tetratetris

tetratetris

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Lollipop0912 said:
I’m curious, do you have plans for fish? Do you have plans for plants? Now you have me all enthusiastic!
Not really yet although maybe something big, or a peaceful south American community maybe hmmmm

Duardo said:
Make sure the tank gets cycled properly before adding fish. But I'd just get something big because You won't be able to see your fish other than a top view so bright and colorful works. Or maybe a ton of cherry barbs, colorful and bright and a big school would be intrresting
I know to cycle it

I do like to idea of the big school. Acutely that would be really cool. It is a clear bin so you can still see it from the side

Thanks guys

Feel free to suggest stockings

Lollipop0912

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Stocking... my favorite part of fishkeeping.
Do you want it to be peaceful, South American or both?
I’d totally do a firemoth chichillid tank! Then I’d add a small clean up crew.
If you are thinking school, I’d add some rummynose tetras. For plants, I’d do amazon swords and jungle vals. For the clean up crew, I’d use a brittle nose pleco. I think that with a good filter, your tank should stay spotless.

OP
tetratetris

tetratetris

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Lollipop0912 said:
Stocking... my favorite part of fishkeeping.
Do you want it to be peaceful, South American or both?
I’d totally do a firemoth chichillid tank! Then I’d add a small clean up crew.
If you are thinking school, I’d add some rummynose tetras. For plants, I’d do amazon swords and jungle vals. For the clean up crew, I’d use a brittle nose pleco. I think that with a good filter, your tank should stay spotless.
Thanks

As long as no one is killing each other i'm fine

I leaning towards a peaceful tank of maybe South Americans if they appeal

I feel like a fire mouth in the tank would be pretty small but liveaquraia says 30 gallon so I'm pretty close

I do love tetras

I have an amazon sword in my 10 gallon and its gone huge (Wide) With ~20 new shoots lol

I do like the fire mouth idea and exploring the chciilid world

Thanks

P.S. We still have ~1 Month for the tank to cycle

Dwarf cichlid?/Shell Dweller?

Like this but probably not (30g)

OP
tetratetris

tetratetris

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
emmysjj said:
You could do goldfish.
That's one of my ideas

I was just wrighting a post on stocking this (With an goldfish idea) when I got this alert lol

Duardo

Reaction score
gold fish are too messy and have a larger tank requirement, you'll have to get a bigger tank eventually lol. And what about tiger barbs or serpeI tetras

OP
tetratetris

tetratetris

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Duardo said:
gold fish are too messy and have a larger tank requirement, you'll have to get a bigger tank eventually lol. And what about tiger barbs or serpeI tetras
I thought I could do a big school of tigers and maybe a pleco

Georgie Girl said:
I love it! Ingenuity, ideas put into action! Good on you, tetratetris.

Are you going to do a fishless cycle? I know, that would be an excruciating wait when you're on a roll and want to stock it *now*.
Thanks

I tansfered a filter with month and month old media from my ten with the filter so i'm go to do a fishless cycle but I think itll go really fast. If not change my mind or fill me in on a another way.

Georgie Girl said:
I adore KhulI Loaches, so yeah, get them! Cute little suckers.
Yesssss

Tanks guys any other suggestions or welcome

New Threads