Agressive Tiger Barbs

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by barbsandbicuspids, Jun 26, 2016.

1. b

barbsandbicuspids New Member Member

Hi all,

I just recently got back into the hobby of fish keeping with a 60 gallon tank I purchased a few months ago. I have driftwood, lava rock and lots of plants in the tank. I have had no problems with the tank until recently. My LFS suggested to start with tiger barbs so I went with their advice. I initially bought 5 small tiger barbs and upped the school to 8 by adding 3 larger albino tiger barbs. The tiger barbs never bother the rainbow shark, cherry barbs or bristlenose pleco in the tank. Recently, I went to my LFS and they suggested I add a red flame gourami to the tank as it should be able to hold its own against the tiger barbs. This was a big mistake as the tiger barbs eventually began to nip it like crazy until it died. I really wanted to have a gourami in the tank but I am not sure now after seeing what they did to this one. Would a larger gourami such as a gold gourami be able to hold its own against the tiger barbs or should I just give away the tiger barbs? I initially wanted a peaceful community tank but the barbs kind of threw that off.

2. M

Maxi1 Valued Member Member

Sorry for your problems, wow the lfs has given you some wrong advice. Glad you are here for help. Good idea to do your own research and ask here about fish compatibility. Others might not agree with me but here's my advice. Since you say you want a peaceful tank, I would get rid of the tiger barbs. I think they are usually trouble. Why would you have to get fish that can "hold their own" with them? That's not peaceful. I've read here about gold gourami being a problem too. Larger gourami can be a problem sometimes. Pearl gourami are fairly large butusually peaceful with other fish. I have had 5 in my 55 gallon tank and love them. Only one male though and 4 females. They spend most of their time together.

Sorry if I'm ranting. Good luck and enjoy.

3. OP
    OP
    b

Thank you for the advice!

4. musserump09

musserump09 Well Known Member Member

I had success with a sunset DG. He was big enough that the 8 barbs wouldn't pick at him a few times but then he would turn around and chase them away. But once I lost 3 barbs. 5 of them try to kill each other all day. My advise for you would be add more barbs. You want peace though its risky. Only sharing my experience.

5. OP
    OP
    b

I just looked up a sunset DG and that is the same one I had. It must have been labeled differently. I also noticed it had a hole in the side of its gill plate when I found it dead. Is it possible that it had hole in the head disease as well?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice