Agressive pleco.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by MatthewM, Jul 4, 2015.

1. MatthewM

MatthewMValued MemberMember

Is it normal for larger plecos to bully? No problems with the little one. But my larger pleco likes to swim around the bottom really fast and scare my cory's and other fish and then he goes to the spot i put algae wafers and runs everyone away and takes it by force and if anyone comes close he runs at them and hits them full on. Why is he such a jerk??? After this he always goes back and hides behind his favorite plant for the day.

2. hampalong

hampalongWell Known MemberMember

It's pretty normal for some. What kind of plec?

3. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

Common

4. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

My BN pleco does the same with my cories. But it seemed to stop ever since I changed my aquascape a couple days ago. That common pleco might outgrow your 75 gallon. You have 2 common plecos?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

You're either going to need to rehome it or upgrade to a 125g tank or even bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

Yeah yeah yeah i am aware. I hear it every time i post. They came with the tank. For now they will stay, but they are ultimately being rehomed.

7. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Do you feed it shrimp or catfish pellets at all? Mine started getting a little irritated as he got bigger, started giving him shrimp pellets and he's back to being a sweetheart. When they get to a certain size/age they seem to need more meat in their diets in addition to the veggies and algae. Also I leave a fresh veggie in there 24/7 because plecos seem to digest food really quicky, mine starts thrashing and swimming more (looking agitated) if he needs a new veggie put in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. hampalong

Adult commons are very territorial.

9. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

The big one is about 5 inches, the small about 2.5. I use algae wafers to supplement as my tank for some reason wont grow algae.

10. Bijou88

They need more than algae wafers. Fresh veggies and something with more meat. At 5" they're to the point where they need more protein in their diet.

11. hampalong

It's probably very hungry. They don't care about anyone else when they're hungry. They're greedy fish and need all the usual foods aswell as the veg.

If your tank was growing algae you wouldn't see it with these in.

12. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

That's kind of a good thing you dont have any algae growing though.

13. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

Veggies. Alright. What else? Or just veggies.

14. Bijou88

Shrimp pellets or sinking catfish pellets. For veggies mine likes zuchini/squash and spinach a lot fwiw.

15. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

16. hampalong

Put some in for the plecs too. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice