Agressive Blood Parrot Tank Mates

Braydenmm22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Some stores are just all about the money and don't care if the fish has a happy life or not. I live in Canada so I have a few Big Al's Aquarium Super Centres nearby and I can always trust them for info about fish. One of them has a 125 with maybe 10 African peacock cichlids and 3 blood parrots and there is no aggression between them.

Ed204

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Braydenmm22 said:
Some stores are just all about the money and don't care if the fish has a happy life or not. I live in Canada so I have a few Big Al's Aquarium Super Centres nearby and I can always trust them for info about fish. One of them has a 125 with maybe 10 African peacock cichlids and 3 blood parrots and there is no aggression between them.
Peacocks are generally more peaceful than other Mbuna cichlids and the only reason the peacocks aren't disturbing the BPs are probably the Blood Parrots are far bigger than them.

Braydenmm22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Not really the bp were about the size of mine the peacocks were a bit bigger

Ed204

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Braydenmm22 said:
Not really the bp were about the size of mine the peacocks were a bit bigger
Okay then, sounds like they've already established a good pecking order then.

Braydenmm22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah I was thinking if I were to get peacocks that they would see that my bp is dominant in the tank and be less aggressive towards him but still get decent sized peacocks

Ed204

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Braydenmm22 said:
Yeah I was thinking if I were to get peacocks that they would see that my bp is dominant in the tank and be less aggressive towards him but still get decent sized peacocks
I don't think it could work in your tank now, since you already had the common
Pleco and the sev

Braydenmm22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah my mom wouldn't give up the severum for some peacocks. And can't some plecos stand a higher ph? My ph is at 8.0 and would that be good enough for African cichlids like peacocks because I have crushed shells at the bottom of the tank mixed in with the sand to raise the ph.

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Green terrors, JDs - it's only a 90. It sounds like a lot, but not for those fish.

Remember your bloody parrot was intentionally handicapped - in spite of its aggression, it still has a deformed mouth. It can easily lose in the crowded tank wars, if the new fish are naturally shaped. It may have some of its ancestral character (or all of it), but in a fight, it is severely handicapped.

Braydenmm22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes I understand that he can't defend himself against other cichlids due to his deformed mouth that's why I was thinking of getting something a little less aggressive like an Oscar. I've just found out my severum has hole in the head disease so I set up a quarantine tank for him but it looks pretty bad so that means all I have in my tank is a blood parrot and pleco

He's too far gone to cure the disease I think I might need to euthanize him what is the most peaceful way

MattS99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Braydenmm22 said:
He's too far gone to cure the disease I think I might need to euthanize him what is the most peaceful way
Probably overdose him on clove oil. But I've also done a mix of vodka and water in the past that was pretty quick. (But it was for a honey gourami).

Braydenmm22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I read that if you put him in a bag in the freezer they will die peacefully

MattS99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Braydenmm22 said:
I read that if you put him in a bag in the freezer they will die peacefully
I wouldn't do that. It's a huge temperature shock, even if it knocks them out quickly. Pretty painful too. Think of it this way: Would you like to be frozen to death?

Braydenmm22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok how much vodka would i need to euthanize him

MattS99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think it's something like one part vodka for four parts of vodka, but I added more vodka than that. It's a big fish, so you'd need a good amount I guess. But I still think you should do clove oil instead.

Braydenmm22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

MattS99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Online probably. I've never seen it in my local LFS.

Braydenmm22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'll try vodka then

I'm taking a trip to my closest fish store nearby other than petsmart which is big Al's and as of tomorrow I will only have a blood parrot and a pleco. I have euthanized the severum with hole in the head disease and will be giving my Africans to big Al's tomorrow. I'm thinking of stocking my tank with

1 blood parrot Cichlid
1 firemouth/convict
1 Jack Dempsey/Oscar
1 pleco

does this seem reasonable for a 90 gallon tank? I would like to keep 3 cichlids but i don't think I'd be able to keep a bp, Oscar, and Dempsey peaceful in that small of a tank. If you know if I could I'd like to know because it will be really hard to decide between an oscar or jd

I also don't need to keep the pleco too if it could be a problem I can always take him to the store too

Ed204

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Braydenmm22 said:
I also don't need to keep the pleco too if it could be a problem I can always take him to the store too
If you are willing to upgrade to a bigger tank in the future to keep him there is nothing wrong with that.

However, if you would like to stick with your current tank, I would just return him because he can reach up to 2 feet.
You can return him and get a BN Pleco instead if you'd like

Braydenmm22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok I'll do that then because I don't think I want a 2 ft pleco in my tank. My lfs had a big one before and they had a lot of trouble selling it. It was maybe 22"

I'm back from the store and I got a 7" Jack Dempsey and a 3" convict x jaguar hybrid. I also picked up some cobalt aquatics Cichlid flakes because apparently they're good for the fishes digestive system and have vitamin flakes

I have now finished acclimating them and put the fish in the tank. It turns out that the Jack Dempsey isn't really a Jack Dempsey, but also a jag/con hybrid. Does anyone have any information on these fish? I couldn't really see the fish well because he was in a bucket but there was a jd in the tank he was in unless the worker got the wrong one.. It was a hard tank to look into because it was at floor level

Does anyone know how big they can get?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom