Agressive Blood Parrot Tank Mates

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Braydenmm22, Apr 15, 2017.

1. B

Braydenmm22 Valued Member Member

Hi I have a 90 gallon tank with 1 blood parrot, 1 green severum, 1 blue Moori Cichlid,mSnow White cichlid, and a common pleco. I know some people will say that I really shouldn't be keeping the African cichlids with the sa cichlids but it's been going fine. I'm planning on getting rid of the Africans despite them bothering my sa cichlids or them bothering the Africans. I've noticed the African cichlids being aggressive towards each other and am going to be giving them to my lfs. But I'm not sure what I want/can get for my tank. I've had my blood parrot and all the other fish in my old 50 gallon but before I got the Africans I had the blood parrot and the severum and the pleco. I also had a Kribensis Cichlid, blue acara Cichlid, and a pictus catfish that my blood parrot Louie has killed and 2 goldfish that I had before him but when I got him I still had the goldfish but he killed them. He's very aggressive and has bit me on several occasions. He is more red devil than blood parrot. I was thinking an Oscar or maybe a jack Dempsey. Any replies will be appreciated

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    I agree you should re home the Africans. They are incompatible water parameters wise. The Africans prefer a higher PH which the American cichlids can't handle.

A 90 gallon tank is a decent tank to work with so we'all work something out.

How big are your fish at the moment?
    How big was your BP when he killed the other fish?
    What type of Pleco do you have?

A jack Dempsey could work, but the Jack will most likely become the king of the tank, but hey all fish are different.

3. OP
    OP
    B

Both the Africans are 2-3 inches and the severum is 3.5-4" the blood parrot is 5-5.5" the most recent fish he's killed was the blue acara a couple weeks ago. When I got him in late November he was maybe 4.5". The blue acara was maybe 3.5" and the Kribensis was 4".

The pleco is a common pleco I know people will say he doesn't belong in a 90 gallon but he isn't too big. He's around 6" and when I got him on Boxing Day he was 5" so he's grown an inch in 4 months

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  4. Ed204

Alright, you could go for a Jack Dempsey. I think that he is killing the fish that are smaller than him just because he is the biggest in the tank.

When you get a JD make sure that they are both at similar sizes or preferably larger.

IMO, the Africans don't belong there and they might get killed once the BP or JD matures. Your best bet is to re home them, unless you have another tank for them.

Most people say that the common Pleco can get up to 2 feet. However, most common Plecos only reach up to 15-17 inches. What are your tank dimensions?

Did the other fish that the BP killed ever bother the BP?

5. OP
    OP
    B

Yeah I'm going to be re homing the Africans them because my only other tank is a 20 gallon saltwater tank. My tank dimensions are 4ft long 2ft high and 18" deep and I've never seen the fish he's killed bother him non of the fish bother him except for the blue Moori he's been nipping fins lately

6. Ed204

Alright. I think for now you'll be fine.
    Just see how big the common Pleco gets and if he outgrows your 90 gallon, which he might, I would recommend upgrading to at least a 125 gallon.

7. OP
    OP
    B

I was just looking up some other cichlids and found a green terror cichlid. It has some amazing colour and doesn't get too big. Would that work instead of the jack Dempsey

8. Ed204

Green Terrors can grow up to 12 inches a pop, I wouldn't consider that as "they don't grow too big".

However, the females do grow smaller than the males which means that they can get up to 8 inches a pop.
    Both a Jack Dempsey and a Green Terror could work but, remember to get them bigger or as big as the Blood Parrot or else the Blood Parrot might end up killing them as well.

9. OP
    OP
    B

Yeah my lfs usually has some larger species of cichlids like jack dempseys green terrors and oscars not full grown but bigger than my blood parrot maybe like 6-8"

10. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Not an expert on cichlids, but I'd imagine anything similar in size that could stand up for itself could work. Dempsey's, terrors were great ideas. Maybe a firemouth?

11. OP
    OP
    B

I was thinking of one of those or a Texas Cichlid but I've read that they can be difficult to care for

12. MattS99

Not a fan of the Texas myself, but to each their own. I would recommend the firemouth to almost anyone as long as they can deal with the aggression. I've seen them lock lips with full grown oscars.

13. OP
    OP
    B

I don't think I will get a firemouth because the only place around where I live that has them is my local pet smart but I won't buy my fish from there. Well I can't say i haven't because that's where I got my blood parrot from but I had to get him because he was right at the front staring at me and moving around trying to get my attention and he still does it to this day.

14. MattS99

Cichlids have personalities like that. It's like they recognize you, kind of like a dog would. Or they want to be fed. But I prefer to think that they like our company.

15. OP
    OP
    B

Yeah that's the reason I even wanted cichlids. It's also why I got a puffer fish for my saltwater tank and it's kind of funny because sometimes he will do a little dance and make noises to get my attention

16. MattS99

Always wanted cichlids too, but I've been stuck with my Colombian Tetras for 2 years now. They'd get torn up by almost any cichlid, especially since they're in a 20 g. But I can't part with them, in an odd way.

17. Ed204

A FireMouth only grows up to 6 inches.
    Once the Blood Parrot matures (10-12 inches) the same thing might happen.

Do not get a Texas Cichlid. They grow very big and are way more agressive than your BP, your BP will get torn up to shreds.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  18. MattS99

I knew parrots got big, but that big? Wow. Some guy at an LFS tried to get me to buy one for my 20g long today. Immediately left the store.

19. OP
    OP
    B

I'll definitely stay away from those then

20. Ed204

Sounds Good then.
    Are you going to go for a JD or GT?
    I have a FireMouth with my bigger Cichlids and they do fine.
    But your BP already killed some other cichlids with similar temprement so you'll have to go with something a little more agressive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice