Aging Betta "retirement tank"? Aging betta advice?

Brit1996

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Have you guys done a retirement tank?
I saw a YouTube channel called CreativePetKeeping where she mentioned a "retirement tank". I have a betta that's 3 years old from Petco (wow I know) he's starting to get bad eyesight, lazier, and thinner. Tough fella though and loves his food (when I feed him it directly of course). I was wondering if anyone else has done a retirement tank AND any advice for an aging betta?

All i've done so far is give him more plants and lowered the water. Exchanged a super bright light with a lower light one. He seems to get stressed from too bright of lighting.

Temp: 79 degrees
Size: 5.5 gallon, watered lowered a quarter
Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate: 0ppm
Tank is heavily planted and cycled with hiding spots
Food: Frozen brine shrimp and blood worms, daphnia

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think it might be best to keep him in his current tank just to avoid the stress of change. That being said if you want to give him a more shallow home you should be able to find plastic bins made for under bed storage. Here are some examples [x] [x] [x]. They aren't always the prettiest but they're a lot cheaper than most other options. My own betta spent his first few months in a 7 gallon storage tote without issue- I only switched it out for a glass tank because some medication I used on him stained it blue and made it harder to see him. Just make sure whatever filter you have will be able to fit in it!

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Even though 3years is still young for a betta, if you think its his time then I would add some Indian Almond Leaves (if not already) for extra hiding spots & the release of fresh tannin for bettas slime coats. You can also add in Roobis tea, also leeches tannin for bettas. I would keep the water lowered like you have it, add in a few suction cup betta hammocks (if not already) and maybe some yummy frozen foods like bloodworms or daphnia

wisecrackerz

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I find that Bettas really appreciate the soft, near-surface hammock offered by a well-positioned, comfy live plant. Anubias, or java moss, or xmas tree moss, affixed to a convenient ornament or piece of driftwood, have served well in long-term recoup tanks I've had in the past.

New Threads