aggressiveness

osuftball12

Reaction score
Hi, so i have had 2 mollies in my tank for about 3 or so weeks now. a black female molly, and im pretty sure a male dalmation molly. i have recently noticed that the male molly likes to bully and chase around the female molly, which is alittle bit smaller than the male as well. she is also hiding in a castle that is in teh tank from him sometimes now to. i am just wondering if this is normal or not. sorry for al lthe dumb questions in other posts, i am still new to this!

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi, welcome to fishlore. there is a rule in case of all livebearers (guppies, mollies, platies); u have to keep 2 females for 1 male, this way the male will not be able to harass a single female . but i personally think it is better to keep 4 females for 1 male.

osuftball12

Reaction score
Neville said:
hi, welcome to fishlore. there is a rule in case of all livebearers (guppies, mollies, platies); u have to keep 2 females for 1 male, this way the male will not be able to harass a single female . but i personally think it is better to keep 4 females for 1 male.
thanks for that tip, but since i only have a little 2.5 gallon tank, keeping 3 fish is pretty risky. im just starting out and i have alitlte apartment at school. so theres not that much space. but i did return the male and got a female, so now with 2 females im going to see how it works out. if that doesnt work then ill just keep the one fish for now. thanks for reading!

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
osuftball12 said:
Neville said:
thanks for that tip, but since i only have a little 2.5 gallon tank, keeping 3 fish is pretty risky. im just starting out and i have alitlte apartment at school. so theres not that much space. but i did return the male and got a female, so now with 2 females im going to see how it works out. if that doesnt work then ill just keep the one fish for now. thanks for reading!
i think 2 females will do just fine..........

ssh_condor

Reaction score
See in my tank its the female that bullies the male. Mind you I believe they have stopped now. They have taken to feeding as a part of their anger management, typical!

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
You're kidding? Your female bullying the male. I'd like her to stay at mine for a while to teach my females some self-respect! Well actually, I have a large gold nugget female who's bullying every other female. That's something.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom