Aggressive Yoyo’s

Discussion in 'YoYo Loach' started by Incubus1980, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Incubus1980

Incubus1980New MemberMember

Has anyone experience their Yoyo’s deciding to eat their salt and pepper Corydoras. I’ve had 3 mauled in 2 days, this morning I turned the light on and the 3 I had left where all swimming, feed the tank and 5 mins later it one is lying on the bottom with his belly ripped open and an eye missing. The only other fish I have in there are swordtails, and a plaec.

2. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

I think its likely that the YoYo Loach is the killer. They are great Botias, but can be very aggressive.
    Yoyos need other Yoyos to spread their energy and aggression amongst each other. They are a boisterous loach and shouldn't be kept with peaceful community fish.

3. OP
    OP
    Incubus1980

Yea I was putting the blame at their door, normally if they do eat a fish it’s because they are sick/ struggling but the s+p’s where fine. They are a little slow so i assume they didn’t get moving fast enough

I’ve had them for a year and the little catfish nearly the same time, I bought the 3 the shop had even though one was very small and lost that one early but the other two have grown. As everyone was living happily together I wasn’t going to get more of them but as the little catfish are coping it do you think 3 more loaches would settle them? I have read 4 - 6 is a good number and then they are a pretty social fish. I would be at my comfortable tank limit at that point, I hate over stocking. I’ve always kept clowns in the past but my son really liked the Yo-yos

Thanks.

4. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

I think four YoYos would be a good number. I keep four Red Tail Botia Loaches, probably a little more aggressive than Yoyos, and they do fine chasing each other day & night.
    I'd like to add Yoyos to my tank, but need to find ones that are at least three inches long.

5. OP
    OP
    Incubus1980

Thanks for that, I’ll look at picking some more up, they are a great fish and my 2 little kids love watching them.

Don’t know if it helps but I read adding smaller yo-yos it’s good to put small tubes or something at the bottom s the tank for a week so they have something to hide in and have time to settle.