Aggressive Yellow Tang

Discussion in 'Yellow Tang' started by katherinek5, Nov 3, 2018.

1. katherinek5

katherinek5New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    About a month ago I got a yellow tang for my 65g tank. My tang was very peaceful with my other fish at first then started to become aggressive. On the left side of my tank is a cave, any fish who tried to go in there my tang would scare away. One morning I woke up to a dead clownfish. I don’t know wether that was the tang or a coincidence, all I know is that my clowns liked to sleep in the cave at night. About a week or 2 later I got a new clown and an coral beauty angel, the tang would always whip out its little knife near his back tail and use it to attack the angel. There was an ich breakout killing the angel later on, all my other fish were fine. After the ich subsided I got another angel, a flame angel. I carefully watched my angel to make sure it wasn’t the Bully of the tang but like the coral beauty angel the tang would attack the angel if he got anywhere near the cave. A couple days later, I found the Angel dead. My tang has been aggressive to my clowns, angels and even a bit to my shrimp. My tang is only peaceful with my 6 line and cleaner wrasses. Is it normal for tangs to be aggressive? Is there anything I can do, should I get a different yellow tang or have no yellow tang at all?

2. KimberlyG

KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,957
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Bumping this up. Saturday morning at 8:10 is hard to get noticed. I don't do salt water. I googled yellow tang to make sure it was the beautiful fish I thought it was and video after video had the word aggression in the title. ;) @stella1979 will be able to help when she checks in. Good luck.

3. OP
    OP
    katherinek5

katherinek5New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you!!

4. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,532
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Never had a salt water tank let alone a yellow tang, but I’ve had overly aggressive fish. I usually end up trading them in if they can’t play nice.

Another thing to note, sounds to me you weren’t quarantinig the new fish. You should always quarantine to prevent diseases being passed from them to your healthy stock.

5. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +9,566
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Hi :) Welcome to Fishlore! :D We'd love to see your tank.;)

I'm sorry to say that it is common for tangs to be aggressive in smaller setups and believe me, I would agree with you if you said, what small tank? The truth is that I have never heard of yellow tangs playing nice without a HUGE setup... meaning at least 4 feet in length, and lots of intricate rock work to create territories and safe spaces for others. My experience with them is limited, but from that, I wouldn't keep a tang in less than a 120g. My very first salty tank, (and the one I made lots of mistakes with), was a 55g and was 4 ft. long, but only 12" wide without a great rockscape. My cute little tang in that tank was a huge jerk! I'm not sure of the dimensions of your tank, but these guys really like room to move around, a good current, and even in huge setups, there is more often than not plenty of places for more timid fish to get away. I'd vote for no tang in your tank. Sorry.:(

6. Jesterrace

JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,084
    Experience:
    1 year
    Take it from a guy who removed one after one month from his 90 gallon (which it tried to claim as it's own), Yellow Tangs are first class buttheads (as are most of the Zebrasoma variety ie Purple, Sailfin, Yellow, etc.). I had my LFS hold onto it for a few weeks and keep it in the same holding tank as my Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel, put them in acclimation boxes for a few days to let them get used to the tank and they even shared the same cave for about a month. About a month after I got them I noticed my coral beauty had a chunk missing from it's lower fin and the Yellow Tang would shadow it every where it went. The final straw came when it started backing up and slapping the CB with it's tail scalpel (and causing visible damage to the CB). It also started shadowing my Melanurus Wrasse and flaring it's fins at him. I gave him the boot and replaced him with a One Spot Foxface and have been happier since. Unfortunately due to the size of your tank, the Foxface isn't really an option and honestly neither is the Yellow Tang. About the only Tang I would recommend for your tank would be a Tomini Tang (aka Flame Fin Tang) as they stay the smallest of the bunch (max out at about 6 inches vs the 8 inch long and super tall Yellow Tang). Unfortunately they won't match the color of the Yellow Tang. Either way though, Tangs all have the potential to be jerks. Personally I would switch to peaceful variety wrasses and a Dwarf Angel of some form (as you know they can be a gamble on coral nipping).