Aggressive Rasbora Issue

maggie
About 2 months back I purchased some Rasboras. I asked the guy who sold them to me if they were good for community tanks and if they were schooling fish. They guy said they were peaceful fish and they were not schooling fish. So I went ahead and got 2. After putting them in my tank I noticed they were being very aggressive towards all my other fish. Constantly nipping at them and hogging all the food.

I later did some research and found that they actually are schooling fish and need to be in groups of 6 or more. Argh. Anyway, I tried separating them in to my 2.5 gal but that is way too small and they wouldn't eat. So I put them back into my bigger tank for now. Now the problem is I don't know how to make this work. I can't get a bigger tank and I can't return them (I already tried) what should I do? My tank is already overcrowded, though I haven't had any problems yet. Should I try and get one more and see if they quit being little meanies or should I try to give them to another petshop? The problem with that is the other petshop option is horrible. I've been there and they do NOT take good care of their fish. Ahhh Help

capekate
HI Maggie
sorry to hear about your aggression in the tank. Sometimes its just so hard to tell with fish when you think they will get along with other tank mates that's when they dont!
What size tank do you have? and what are the other tank mates in with them? Also a possible short term solution can be to put in a tank divider and separate the two from the rest of the fish.

~ kate

Tom
It also depends on the type of rasbora. What type is it? There are quite a few out there.
Tom

Tom
they are harlequin rasboras and they live in a ten gal with guppies and neon tetra.

How many of each?
Tom

Isabella
Yes, as Tom as asked: How many of each?

I've personally had 2 Harlequin Rasboras in a community tank for a few months now, and they're peaceful toward each other as well as toward other fish. Although I already have 4 more Harlequins in my quarantine tank, waiting to be added to the 2 Harlequins (a total of 6). And I'm planning to increase their group even more, to a group of 10. These fish ARE in fact schooling, and the more of them you have, the more beautifully they school. Keeping them in larger groups also should eliminate aggression, if there is any to begin with.

maggie
I have 5 guppies and 3 tetra. Which is why I am trying to find a place to take them. I now know they need to be in schools, my question is what should I do since I can't do that with my current tank size.

Isabella
How large do guppies grow? 2 - 2.5 inches? I don't think they're large waste-producers, are they?

Hmm, it's best to have at least 5-6 fish of any schooling species. You already have 5 Guppies, 3 Neon Tetras, and 2 Harlequin Rasboras. Size-wise, guppies alone already fill your tank to the fullest if they grow to 2 - 2.5 inches. You definitely can't have 2 more groups of 5-6 fish in that tank. If you really, really, really can't get another tank, then I guess you'd have to return either the Neons or the Harlequins. Whichever of the 2 species you'll leave for yourself, you know they'll have to be in 5-6 groups. I guess with very good water changes and plenty of hiding spots, you'd be OK. But the tank would be overstocked nevertheless.

I really don't know what else to say because I know you don't want to give away any of your fish. And even after you return either the Neons or the Harlequins, your tank will still be overstocked (with 5 Guppies + either 3-5 Neons or Harlequins).

And if you ever start getting algae, you won't even have room for any algae eaters.

maggie
the guppies I have only grow 1 to 1.5 inches because they are all male, its the females that grow up to two inches. And the neons are the same. So without the rasboras I'm only about 2 inches over the limit. So really it's only the two rasboras that are overcrowding.

Although I did figure something out yesterday that helped the situation a bit. I noticed that the aggression was happening mostly because of the filter current. The rasboras like to hang out by the current and catch any little particles of food that would get pushed out by the current.so they would guard the area and attack the other fish because of it. so I blocked the current with a clear piece of plastic and now they aren't attacking anymore.

the algae situation isn't really a problem. I do have some but I actually think its pretty and its not difficult to control. I just do the old less light method when I think its getting to be a bit much, which isn't often.

Isabella
If your Guppies will grow to only 1.5", then I think you could additionally have either 5 Neons or 5 Rasboras in that tank. But that's absolutely it, because the tank would be overstocked this way too. But ... if you're good with your water changes, you should be OK. Have lots of hiding spots for your fish. Just keep in mind, you won't have any space for any algae eaters if you ever have any algae problems. Except maybe for getting some snail(s) - they're good algae eaters too.

maggie
yea I know. I think ill try and find a new home for the rasboras. hopefully I'll be able to find a good one. i'd hate for anything to happen to them. I do have a snail but he lives in his own 2.5 gal tank. whenever I need some additional algae cleanup I drop him in the big tank for a few days.

wouldn't it be nice if there was a fish division of antI cruelty society?

hey I wonder, is there anyone living here in chicago who would be willing to take my little ones in? if so please contact me

Isabella
wouldn't it be nice if there was a fish division of antI cruelty society?
Oh, I'd LOVE that Most people just don't think fish deserve as good a care level as other animals such as cats and dogs get. To me, my fishies deserve the same treatment that my other pets (i.e. my cats) get from me. Just because they live in water and are much smaller from other land animals, does not mean they shouldn't have rights (as ex. cats and dogs have). Fish are probably getting the worst care among home pets (of course, I am not talking about care from Fish Lore members but about the fish-keeping hobby in general).

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FinalFins
Replies
Views
Jessica158
Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views