Aggressive Rainbowfish Help

Discussion in 'Rainbowfish' started by CaptainAquatics, Jul 15, 2019.

1. CaptainAquatics

CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Hi! So I have a bosbani rainbow fish in my 55 community and he has been in there a while without issue. However this morning while feeding them I saw something horrifying. The rainbowfish has half a rosy red minnow sticking out of his mouth, I managed to spook him into releasing him but I think the damage has been done and he is going to pass away. Any ideas on how I can help this, I really like him and he has great color but I don’t want a fish killer in my community tank. I only have a couple tanks I could think about moving him to:
    1. My african cichlid tank
    2. My goldfish tank
    3. My 130 with several large fish (like Oscars)

Thoughts?

2. Guppygirl88

Guppygirl88Valued MemberMember

what would be ironic is if you took him back to the store and traded him for a couple of rosy red minnows.

3. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

My guess is that the Rosey Minnow was not in optimum health. Just about any fish will consume an injured or weakened fish.
    I've kept several speices of Rainbows and have never seen or heard of a predatory one.
    I wouldn't remove the Rainbow. The Oscar would eat it. The Africans would thrash it, and the goldfish tank is probably too cold. Maybe just add a few more Rainbows.

4. OP
    OP
    CaptainAquatics

Would a re-scape work, maybe add a few more visual blockers?

5. OP
    OP
    CaptainAquatics

The goldfish tank is 76 for temp. One of the goldfish needs the heat to help him digest him.

6. Spulvert

SpulvertNew MemberMember

Wouldn’t hurt to add in some larger plants, real or fake, I would honestly add some more rainbows to maybe diffuse aggression, what’s your stocking right now?

7. OP
    OP
    CaptainAquatics

I ended up moving him to my goldfish tank, however now I have another issue. The rainbow fish is now tearing up my goldfish’s fins :(

8. Adam Pacio

Adam PacioNew MemberMember

Rainbows are schooling species and need to be kept in small groups, 6 is typically recommended. You should return the Rainbow, or if you have the space add 3 more to the original tank. If the Boesemani is a male (blue front, deeper body) then add 3 females. They are not usually aggressive, and it might be reacting out of stress. Rainbows have large mouths but small throats, and don't typically go for other fish, but with any omnivore or carnivore alike, if it fits in their mouth, they think it's food. So really small minnows might be fair game just because they're bite sized, or will become so more as the Boesemani can get up to 4-5" long in size.

Good luck. I'd actually return him and see if you could trade him for replacement minnows as Guppygirl88 suggested above in jest.

9. OP
    OP
    CaptainAquatics

My rainbow is probably 3” right now, he is decent sized. The minnow actually was not small, he was pretty big and I was suprised he fit in his mouth. I have room for 2 more rainbows if that would help, I am going to my LFS later anyway so maybe I can pick some up (depending on price). Honestly I really like this guy’s colors and he is a pretty cool fish so I don’t want to give him away. To fix the goldfish problem if I do get two other rainbows today maybe I’ll just put him in QT with them. However that would risk him getting sick....