Aggressive Rainbow Forktail Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by happah, Oct 12, 2018.

1. happahValued MemberMember

So today I dropped a couple of pleco chips in my aquarium (I don't own any plecos - dropped them for shrimp since my fish swallow all the shrimp pellets), and I noticed that one of my rainbow forktails displayed some signs of aggression towards the other fish, even against the GBR that are three times bigger. I never noticed this behaviour before, what can explain it?

Btw, since I am here, I want to ask how do I feed the blue rams...If I feed on the surface, in 10 seconds the little ones swallow everything. My 2 GBR are very slow and lazy, they don't bother to come near the surface for food. And if I throw some shrimp pellets down for them, only about 3-4 out of 10 make it down (the rest are swallowed by the cardinal tetras), and out of those, they maybe get to chew one each. Something's seriously wrong with my cardinals...I swear, if I drop the whole bottle of pellets in, they will die eating it without any shame.

If you watch it past the middle, you'll see the forktail flares up around the ram, and chases everything else away.

Update: for some unexplainable reason, the forktails seem to have gathered in that spot in the video and..defend it...and they are still there 4 hours later ? I don't understand what is happening - apart from that pleco chip there is nothing else there. Have my fish gone crazy?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2018
  2. Ohio Mark

Ohio MarkWell Known MemberMember

I don't have any advice, but I loved seeing the forktails! They are on my wish-list, but have only seen them in pictures...

3. OP
    OP
    h

happahValued MemberMember

They are beautiful indeed, and absolutely stunning when they flare up. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the show !
    I'm just curious to udnerstand what's happening.

4. Ohio Mark

I understand. :) I figured that was what you were curious about. Your video made me "bump" this fish up on my list. ;)

5. OP
    OP
    h

happahValued MemberMember

Happy to hear - here's some more of it; sorry about the algae on the glass there, I need to buy a blade scraper to get under that gravel to clean it.

6. Ohio Mark

Thank you for sharing this! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice