Aggressive Rainbow Fish? or Not

1. VenomGrass Member Member

:;swls
    Hey There,
    I hear soo many people say that rainbow sharks are aggressive and territorial. I have to disagree on this one. Mine is so gentle and shares her rock with one on my little tetras! (It's a tight hole lol)

Maybe it's because she is young and my community of fish have only been together a few weeks, but thats how I see it at the moment. Any comments guys? :)

2. Chris123 Well Known Member Member

some are peaceful at a young age.
    But as they get older agression can become a problem.

3. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

agression typically increases with age. However if the stock is in with them at a young age and the tank is large enough then it may not be a problem. Tanks size seems to have a lot of infulence on agression issues as they age I've read.
    :)
    Good Luck,

4. Tim Wheatley Initiate Member

Just want to give you a warning here from my own experience... I keep Tiger Barbs (which know how to defend themselves) and one has been killed, another is injured.... by my Rainbow Shark. I re-arranged the tank and this caused them to spend time living ontop of each other.

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

in a 16g tank, you dont have much longer for a juvie rbs to tear everyone up in that tank...been there in a 30g tank ..as most members have said, it WILL happen with age and I hope you are planning ahead for such things to happen..its in there nature no matter who they grow up with ..especially in a tank your size

6. cwb141 Member Member

Not only that, but it will outgrow the tank as well.

I have one in a 29 gallon, with tetras as well. Like you said, it's really gentle and doesn't bother the other fish. It's only a couple inches long however, my tetras are near full-grown, there are hiding spots, and the shark was added last. I'm not sure I would be able to keep him/her without these conditions and I hope to have a 75 gallon ready for it before it gets too big.

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

+2 ...the tank size does make a HUGE difference....

8. Sammyboi1993 Member Member

I have a Fully Grown Rainbow shark in a 20 gallon tank and he is more than happy, iv had mine for around 5 years now.

9. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Rainbow sharks tend to get increasingly aggressive with age (as do RTS) so while it may seem like they are getting along fine with their tank-mates in a smaller tank with time this can change.
    A word of warning.

10. VenomGrass Member Member

Yeah I got rid of her in december. best move i ever made too.. lol