Aggressive Rainbow Fish? or Not

1. VenomGrass

VenomGrass Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    :;swls
    Hey There,
    I hear soo many people say that rainbow sharks are aggressive and territorial. I have to disagree on this one. Mine is so gentle and shares her rock with one on my little tetras! (It's a tight hole lol)

Maybe it's because she is young and my community of fish have only been together a few weeks, but thats how I see it at the moment. Any comments guys? :)

2. Chris123

Chris123 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +10
    some are peaceful at a young age.
    But as they get older agression can become a problem.

3. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +34
    agression typically increases with age. However if the stock is in with them at a young age and the tank is large enough then it may not be a problem. Tanks size seems to have a lot of infulence on agression issues as they age I've read.
    :)
    Good Luck,

4. Tim Wheatley

Tim Wheatley Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just want to give you a warning here from my own experience... I keep Tiger Barbs (which know how to defend themselves) and one has been killed, another is injured.... by my Rainbow Shark. I re-arranged the tank and this caused them to spend time living ontop of each other.

5. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +157
    in a 16g tank, you dont have much longer for a juvie rbs to tear everyone up in that tank...been there in a 30g tank ..as most members have said, it WILL happen with age and I hope you are planning ahead for such things to happen..its in there nature no matter who they grow up with ..especially in a tank your size

6. cwb141

cwb141 Member Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Not only that, but it will outgrow the tank as well.

I have one in a 29 gallon, with tetras as well. Like you said, it's really gentle and doesn't bother the other fish. It's only a couple inches long however, my tetras are near full-grown, there are hiding spots, and the shark was added last. I'm not sure I would be able to keep him/her without these conditions and I hope to have a 75 gallon ready for it before it gets too big.

7. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +157
    +2 ...the tank size does make a HUGE difference....

8. Sammyboi1993

Sammyboi1993 Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Fully Grown Rainbow shark in a 20 gallon tank and he is more than happy, iv had mine for around 5 years now.

9. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +34
    Rainbow sharks tend to get increasingly aggressive with age (as do RTS) so while it may seem like they are getting along fine with their tank-mates in a smaller tank with time this can change.
    A word of warning.

10. OP
    OP
    VenomGrass

VenomGrass Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I got rid of her in december. best move i ever made too.. lol