Aggressive Platy? Question 

Margaux

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
In order to avoid endless fry, I decided to get all same sex platies. I ended up with all males (5). They're in a large tank and have plenty of space and since I have all male guppies in another tank and 0 problems, I just didn't think it would be an issue. However one of my platies is being a real brat, chasing the others around. Will this behavior settle eventually? It's a new tank, so could it just be stress? Should I isolate him? Would adding a few females chill him out? Right now I'm considering shipping him off to my school tank to give the others some peace.

Margaux

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Princethepurplebetta said:
What size tank do you mean by "large" and what are the water perameters?
It's a 30 gallon. I had the water tested at the store, I don't remember the exact parameters. Temperature is 72

Donnerjay

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello and welcome to Fishlore!

A few possible causes for the behavior:

-- You noted it's a new tank. Yes, they may need to settle down a bit. Male platies can occasionally get territorial and want to establish a pecking order. Could be a dominance issue.

-- Platies do best in water that's a bit warmer than what you have. Try gradually increasing the temperature to 76F.

-- Water chemistry can play a role. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels negatively affect fish. A freshwater test kit will give specific results. Try doing a partial water change with conditioned, dechlorinated water.

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would give it some time...
New enviroment can cause sucha behavior but also dominance. But again, I would give it some time...

72F is basically okay for platies. Doesn't have to be higher. But of course that's up to you. They do well at 76F as mentioned before as well but not specifically needed.

Do you know that most wild platies prefer even lower temperatures than the most recommended water temperatures? A lot of swordtails and platies in the wild do live in central- and south-america but a large number of species are endemic to waters with moderate till even lower temperatures. Specifically those which live in streams in the mountains.

Overhere, I'm keeping my swords and platies also at moderate temperatures and they do just fine. Even reproduction continues. This goes for my wild and fancy strains.

Margaux

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think the platies are settling. I was just worried because I know bullying can cause problems in a tank, but no one is actively hiding or keeping anyine else feom food, so it's probably fine. The loach gang have definitely established themselves as Top Fish, which also seems to have calmed mr chaser a lot.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom