Aggressive Platy, Newly Established Tank.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Sierra23, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Sierra23New MemberMember

Hi all,
    I am new to the hobby, and recently started a 10 gallon tank. It took almost exactly 4 weeks to cycle, and our current parameters are ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10, pH 7.2. About 6 days ago we added 2 male platys and a dwarf gourami. One of the platys is tormenting the other, constantly chasing him into the corner behind a fake plant. He barely lets the smaller one come out to eat. How concerned should I be? I know that male on male aggression can be an issue, but I was hoping to avoid any fry so went with boys. Should I give it more time or bring the bully back (if they'll take him)? We were hoping to add another platy and a couple shrimp once we're sure the tank is stable.
    Thanks for any advice. This forum has been super useful as we were getting started!

2. kayla.s

kayla.sWell Known MemberMember

Your tank is over stocked with that gourami in there... they need about 20g+. The aggression could be due to overcrowding

3. OP
    OP
    S

Sierra23New MemberMember

Ok, thanks for the advice. I had read conflicting info about the dwarf gourami and tank size. Some said 10 gal would be ok, and since my tank is only 70% stock according to AqAdvisor, I thought we were good. Sigh. Back to the drawing board.
    If I return the gourami, would you expect the bully platy to leave the other alone?

4. Fish4Ever

Fish4EverValued MemberMember

Honestly I dont think over stalking of the tank is issue in terms of space and water parameters. Although it is not ideal for a DG it is enough space in my opinion.

As for the platty a pecking order has to be established. give it a few days then if it is still an issue put him in a breeder net for a few days. This hassle may not be ideal for you so if you want to return it thats fine, I would just replace it with a guppy or mollie.

5. kayla.s

kayla.sWell Known MemberMember

Dwarf gourami can grow to be 8cm (3 inches) in size. Please do not use aqadvisor or any of those methods of stocking. It doesn't take any of the fishes needs in to account.

With regards to the space issue, I would recommend getting a 20g if you see yourself getting in to the hobby. It will give you more room to play, and more room for more fish. Then you could keep all the fish you currently have :)

6. Racing1113Well Known MemberMember

A Molly also needs a 20 gallon at bare minimum

7. Fish4Ever

Fish4EverValued MemberMember

That is true.... in about a week I am moving a mollie a platy and three guppys out of my ten gallon and into a 36 gallons. Though its not ideal they worked it out... the guppys at the top the platy has his cave that he loves and the mollie in the middle.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice