Aggressive Oscar

CindyHouston

I am new to this forum. I'm hoping to find some answers for my Oscar.
First let me say that I am pretty experienced with Oscars. I currently have 2 in a 100 gallon tank. They were babies 2.5 years ago and now 8 and 9 inches. I was fortunate to get a male and a female. They have gone through their mating ritual 3 times in the past 3 months, along with the eggs and both protecting them from the other fish. Their tank mates are 1 blood parrot cichlid, 1 4 inch Jack Dempsey, 2 3 inch Sliver Dollars and 1 8 inch Pleco. They have all been together pretty much since the start and have always got along great. The large Oscar (Shadow) definitely is King of the tank.
Ok, so the problem started yesterday. Shadow is chasing all the fish with a lot of aggression, all except his mate. All the fish are hiding in one corner of the tank! They did their last mating thing a few weeks ago, the water and temp are fine. Nothing has changed. He seems to be just mad! I know he's not hungry, he gobbles most of the food. He's so smart, he sees me watching him and waits till I'm not looking then goes after the other fish.
Anyone ever have this issue? Suggestions? Is he bored. I'm a believer that there's always a reason for behavior change. What am I missing?
Thanks,
Cindy

e_watson09

The oscars I always had at some point just decided they wouldn't tolerate friends anymore. I never had very many so mine could just be a abnormal issue but if he's being that aggressive I'd probably be looking into a way to separate the oscars from the other fish. Is there babies or anything you just don't see?

CindyHouston

Thank you for responding. No there isn't any babies, that would be cool and an easy fix!

Tez

CindyHouston i've never had am Oscar fish but just been reading about them.

Oscars are territorial, so adding them to your tank can be risky. They aren't afraid to attack other fish and will do so if a fish encroaches on their territory. Mating and feeding times can also fuel their aggression

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Azedenkae
Replies
Views
DoughBoy93090
  • Question
Replies
Views
Gh05t
  • Question