Aggressive Orangespotted Sunfish

1. theroys88 Initiate Member

I received a few Orangespotted Sunfish which I had researched that they are not as aggressive as some of the other sunfish. I have two Bluespotted Sunfish and three Blackbanded Sunfish. After 24 hours, it was apparent that that they are aggressive but I did not see them actually attacking any fish. They show territory defending behavior and chase off each other and some of the fish. Each morning I have found a dead Blackbanded Sunfish with trauma to their fins. I have one left and his upper fins are gone and it is obvious trauma. This appears to be happening at night. They have not bothered my Mollies, Flagfish, Daces or Darters. Anyone know why they would attack only the Blackbanded Sunfish? I am debating whether to remove them and deposit them into the local lake or keep them. They have great coloring and are quite lively but the dynamics of a somewhat peaceful tank have changed dramatically since their arrival. Anyone have any experience with Orangespotted Sunfish? I have had other tanks with Pumpkinseed and Bluegills but never saw this extreme behavior. Thanks

2. Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

i have kept sunfish. for you to have that many, you need a very big tank. Panfish in general are very territorial. I can even see it while fishing at a creek or lake, just looking in the water they are constantly chasing each other. Sunfish in general may be aggressive.

3. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Compared to other Lepomis species, Orange Spotted (smallest of the genus) are usually pussycats. However, they are still Lepomis. Not sure why they were specifically targeting the Black Banded, but I would not have mixed those in the first place, as they have different water preferences. I would either give them their own tank, or rehome them. DO NOT RELEASE THEM INTO THE WILD. They have been in captivity, exposed to who knows what diseases, and it is illegal in most states. Also, unless you are in a handful of Midwestern states, they are probably not native.