Aggressive or Courting?

1. corylover99 Member Member

Recently I've added some floating plants to the corner of one of my tanks to give the gouramis some shade. Initially it was fine for the first few days, but today I noticed that the male would like touch mouths with the females and then chase them across the tank. I'm not sure if he is being territorial because the guppies kinda just do their own thing near the plants and he doesn't seem to care. Would it be that he is preparing to mate? His belly also became really red recently.

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Could you place a pic of male and female ? "Kissing" often is agression (with gouramis).

4. corylover99 Member Member

I'll try to get one tmrw I've been out from day till night the last 2 days haha

5. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

The gourami from what I read like to make their bubble nest using floating plants, so it could very well be breeding behavior. I agree could you post a picture of each of them ? Alison:;hi1

6. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

They do.

7. corylover99 Member Member

https://vimeo.com/171027573
    That's a really short video f basically what happens.
    [​IMG]
    It was hard to grab a photo.
    Btw I do have two females.

8. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Think the man is ready to mate, but doubt if he is able to build a bubblenest. Try to add some floaters I'd say

9. corylover99 Member Member

Do you know if hydrophila can grow floating?? Also I added some frog bit today.

10. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Yes. I've grown both H. difformis and H. polysperma planted in the substrate and floating;)

11. corylover99 Member Member

[​IMG]
    So I woke up to that. Is it a bubble best or a coincidence because bubbles usually don't gather in my tank

12. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Looks like a first attemp

13. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Anywhere that leaves break the surface is a place where the water doesn't move as readily and bubbles can coalesce. It's also where fish like yours will choose to build their nest because the bubbles are less likely to be dispersed. It does kind of look like a nest to me:)

14. corylover99 Member Member

Sweet! I'll be adding more floating plants as soon as I can!