Aggressive Odessa Barb

Trashboat

Recently I rebuilt my 45 gallon freshwater aquarium and added live plants and driftwood, I had a 3 Odessa barbs from before I rebuilt my tank and added them back in afterwards, I then changed my mind and wanted to make it a community tank and 1 of which is super aggressive and stressing out all the other fish, since its full of plants and driftwood is pretty much impossible to catch him, I don't want to add more because that might just add to the problem, I have caught 2 of the Odessa barbs that were being tormented by the aggressive one, I've tried baiting him using blood worms but nothing seems to work, any ideas?

Thanks,

awilkinson871

They usually need a school of 5-6 to curb aggression. Less and they pick on tankmates or they focus one 1 or 2 individuals. Schools of them are usually considered pretty peaceful.

Upvote 0

Trashboat

They usually need a school of 5-6 to curb aggression. Less and they pick on tankmates or they focus one 1 or 2 individuals. Schools of them are usually considered pretty peaceful.
So you think adding 3 more won't add to the problem? Will the agressive one become more peaceful? I want to put in tetras like rummy nose or neons and I don't want the bigger ones picking on the little guys

Upvote 0

bettafairy

Upping the school’s numbers should cancel out any aggression, but if your still having problems, you can try reorganizing the tank and then adding the aggressive barb in last to disorientate him a bit.

Upvote 0

Trashboat

Upping the school’s numbers should cancel out any aggression, but if your still having problems, you can try reorganizing the tank and then adding the aggressive barb in last to disorientate him a bit.
Thanks for the help, I'm probably going to purchase 3 more this weekend and hopefully he stops being so aggressive, I pretty much can't catch him at all I've tried multiple times so I hope he stops after I add some more

Upvote 0

bettafairy

Thanks for the help, I'm probably going to purchase 3 more this weekend and hopefully he stops being so aggressive, I pretty much can't catch him at all I've tried multiple times so I hope he stops after I add some more
I hope it all goes well, reorganizing things should help. Love the username btw. Is it a Regular Show reference?

Upvote 0

Trashboat

I hope it all goes well, reorganizing things should help. Love the username btw. Is it a Regular Show reference?
Haha yeah it is from Regular Show, I actually had another question about the Odessa barbs, so I went to my local fish store and they do sell Odessa barbs but they are much younger and smaller than the ones I have, I am hesitant to put them in because they could be killed easily by the bigger one, will the bigger one attack them? and do Odessa barbs get a long with other smaller species such as tetras?

Thanks,

Upvote 0

bettafairy

Haha yeah it is from Regular Show, I actually had another question about the Odessa barbs, so I went to my local fish store and they do sell Odessa barbs but they are much younger and smaller than the ones I have, I am hesitant to put them in because they could be killed easily by the bigger one, will the bigger one attack them? and do Odessa barbs get a long with other smaller species such as tetras?

Thanks,
Do you have a grow out tank you could use for the younger barbs? I feel like they would probably get gobbled up and a lucky few will survive if you put them in. I’ve had experience with tiger and cherry barbs living with tetras and they can be territorial but not necessarily aggressive in large numbers. If you notice nipping I would try and separate them. Maybe a larger species of tetra would work than a smaller one.

Upvote 0

Trashboat

Do you have a grow out tank you could use for the younger barbs? I feel like they would probably get gobbled up and a lucky few will survive if you put them in. I’ve had experience with tiger and cherry barbs living with tetras and they can be territorial but not necessarily aggressive in large numbers. If you notice nipping I would try and separate them. Maybe a larger species of tetra would work than a smaller one.
I do have a 15 gallon tank, but I don't really want to wait months for them to get big, they are also big enough not to be eaten but I just don't want him nipping at them constantly, I don't know if he will attack them or not, I heard having 6 will stop them from being aggressive

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishyLove1
  • Question
Replies
Views
JuniperJay
  • Question
50 Gallon Tank Adding Odessa Barbs
Replies