Aggressive Male Platy

happygolucky

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have 3 male platys in a 20 gallon tank, currently cycling it(Sachem Stability and Prime), and there is one total jerk. He never stops going after other fish, and I think it's stressing them out. He picks one to chase, chases for 2 min, then calms down, and chases the other for a bit. I don't know what to do because if the mean one isn't chasing, then a different one is chasing another fish. I seem to have gotten the most aggressive male mickey mouse platys possible.....I don't know what to do. I have a 5 gallon that I was planning on fish-less cycling, but now I may have to move my most aggressive to the 5gal, and see how the other two do. Should I do this soon? I've had all 3 for 1.5 days, that's it!

He seems to chase them, then sort of bump into them until they move. I would think his dominance has been established, but he doesn't stop.

happygolucky

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
UPDATE: Since I could not wait any longer for an answer, I have moved my most aggressive into the 5 gallon(added Stabiltity along with Prime), for hopefully only 2-3 days. The problem is, now it seems 2nd in command is taking over. He's now chasing my other platy I honestly have no idea what to do.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Do you have any decor or plants in your tanks so they have some places to hide? I have two female Kribs that are going thru something similar but I have driftwood, rock cave and lots of plants so they don't see each other as much and the less dominant one has places to hide.

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's a pecking order thing, my male platies chase each other around too. Lots of plants, cover etc helps immensely, just so they can get away from each other.

happygolucky

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a large cave, a "treehouse" that provides a great hiding place, and a smaller "tunnel" that can also be hidden in, I have many plants giving cover. I can certainly add more, but that would be filling my tank a lot, and I want to leave some room on the floor because I will be purchasing some cories after the cycle. However, if it will protect my less aggressive platies, then I can definitely buy some more hidey-holes. Also, my other 2 platies have calmed down, they no longer chase each other, I think they have decided who is the "leader" at the moment.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Is the most aggressive one still in the 5g? I believe I read in a couple of other threads that some people have the most aggressive one in "time out" by themselves in their own tank for about a week.

happygolucky

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
After examining one of my platies, I see he has fin rot(90% likely he got it from store, and I didn't notice). Return the fish, or buy antibiotics? Fish seem to be very troublesome to keep

The fin rot is in early stages, the tail is mostly full, just a slight white outline at the end of the tail

I was reading up, and many articles said aquarium salt was a good idea, however everyone on here seems to hate it. Would it help an early stage fin rot, or should I use a different medication? If so, would the API Melafix do the trick?

happygolucky

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes he will stay there for however long is suggested, may even cycle the tank while he's at it because I'm adding stability and prime to it lol.

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fin rot can often be treated with clean water, you don't necessarily need meds. I know you're cycling so it will be tough, but try to keep the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate as low as you possibly can.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom