Aggressive Male Platy Killing Females

Bagel

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So, my 60 gallon pirate tank has it's first problem. Apparently, instead of one male and 5 female platy, I got 2 males and 4 females. I know this because, after losing 2 females, I did some research. After work I came home and sexed them. Not even an hour later my favorite pregnant female (Bessy, RIP) died as the male attacked(?) her.

My water is pristine. Did a 50% change after the first death. Otherwise it's consistent at <.25 ammonia and 5-10 nitrates depending on whether or not it's before or after the water change.

Other inhabitants include 5 small green tiger barbs (soon to be 8 for schooling purposes), 3 adult mollies, 4 or 5 baby mollies, 4 glow tetras, 6 neon tetras, 5 kuhli loach, and one albino dwarf pleco.

We had 2 glow tetras that broke out with ich but we caught it immediately. The tank is completely clear now. I have another week before I turn the heat down (86 f) and remove some salt. I highly doubt the ich killed them, they never caught it. Not even one speck on any fish except the original 2.

So now I have one pregnant female and the smaller and less aggressive male left in my tank.

The serial killer is in a fishbowl by himself. I can rehome him but the friends tank he's going in doesn't have platys. I'm not sure of his stocking but he has a pleco and a couple less aggressive breeds of fish. I think neon tetras and something else. It's my old 30 gallon that would have been my qt if I had a place to keep it. Will Jeffrey Dahmer (the aggressive platy) be ok without friends? Is he likely to remain that aggressive? If so would I be better off to do the unthinkable?
How long will he live in the fishbowl? I can give him fresh tank water but I don't have an extra air line. Just 2 in the tank and it can't spare one for one serial killer.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any help!

Bagel

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Will he stay that aggressive, though? Then he would just kill someone else's favorite platy.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bagel said:
Will he stay that aggressive, though? Then he would just kill someone else's favorite platy.
If you don't wish him to possibly continue his behavior your next option is to euthanize him - there is no guarantee he won't go after other types of fish once he is no longer around other platies.

Bagel

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mcasella said:
If you don't wish him to possibly continue his behavior your next option is to euthanize him - there is no guarantee he won't go after other types of fish once he is no longer around other platies.
Thank you. I needed somebody to say that. I did send him to a new home. My friend recently got a new 40 gallon and added 3 platy females so hopefully Jeffrey (the aggressive platy) will be happier with his own harem. I did inform my friend to watch out for aggression and that he might need to cull it if it starts harassing his females.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bagel said:
Thank you. I needed somebody to say that. I did send him to a new home. My friend recently got a new 40 gallon and added 3 platy females so hopefully Jeffrey (the aggressive platy) will be happier with his own harem. I did inform my friend to watch out for aggression and that he might need to cull it if it starts harassing his females.
An aggressive fish is not worth the fight if it is going out of its way to attack other fish (had a female betta that went out of her way to attack and murder tetras that should have been fast enough to get away from her, she didn't both other female bettas, guppies, cories, nothing, just really vindictive towards tetras and shrimp), she got moved to a tank by herself because it wasn't worth the risk of her killing other fish when she could be placed somewhere without that type of fish to murder.
There are several humane ways to euthanize that will not cause the fish to suffer, so there are ways to do it without feeling bad (I have only had to do this for ill fish that I knew weren't going to make it, i still felt bad because they were my fish, but it was better than letting them suffer, in the case of Jeffery if he continues a pith or ice bath would likely be the easiest way to end him without having to go out and get clove oil).
You just can't reason with fish, they don't understand even if they have been raised in a tank their whole life, they cannot be turned away from their innate needs/desires.

Bagel

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mcasella said:
An aggressive fish is not worth the fight if it is going out of its way to attack other fish (had a female betta that went out of her way to attack and murder tetras that should have been fast enough to get away from her, she didn't both other female bettas, guppies, cories, nothing, just really vindictive towards tetras and shrimp), she got moved to a tank by herself because it wasn't worth the risk of her killing other fish when she could be placed somewhere without that type of fish to murder.
There are several humane ways to euthanize that will not cause the fish to suffer, so there are ways to do it without feeling bad (I have only had to do this for ill fish that I knew weren't going to make it, i still felt bad because they were my fish, but it was better than letting them suffer, in the case of Jeffery if he continues a pith or ice bath would likely be the easiest way to end him without having to go out and get clove oil).
You just can't reason with fish, they don't understand even if they have been raised in a tank their whole life, they cannot be turned away from their innate needs/desires.
Thank you so much. We have a small farm and chickens so I'm used to culling aggressive animals. It's never easy but necessary, sometimes. Sadly I do have clove oil. My 5 year old goldfish weren't doing well at the end of it. I cried like a baby and told them I was sorry a hundred times!

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bagel said:
Thank you so much. We have a small farm and chickens so I'm used to culling aggressive animals. It's never easy but necessary, sometimes. Sadly I do have clove oil. My 5 year old goldfish weren't doing well at the end of it. I cried like a baby and told them I was sorry a hundred times!
The first betta I had to euthanize I felt so bad for because I tried to make him better but it just wasn't working and he clearly was suffering. I cried as soon as his gills stopped moving, then had to clear them away to make sure then buried him. I felt like i had failed him somehow (he had a ten gallon live planted tank that was heated, filtered, and cycled), so its not easy, but if it has too be done it has to, otherwise the animal suffers unnecessarily (or other animals in the case of the chickens).

Bagel

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mcasella said:
The first betta I had to euthanize I felt so bad for because I tried to make him better but it just wasn't working and he clearly was suffering. I cried as soon as his gills stopped moving, then had to clear them away to make sure then buried him. I felt like i had failed him somehow (he had a ten gallon live planted tank that was heated, filtered, and cycled), so its not easy, but if it has too be done it has to, otherwise the animal suffers unnecessarily (or other animals in the case of the chickens).
It's nice to hear I'm not the only one!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom