Aggressive Male Krib

1. Emcastan

Emcastan New Member Member

I recently got a pair of kribensis and have them in a 29 gallon tank with 6 tetra (3 rummy nose and 3 black/gold).

They have been in the tank 3 days now, the female is always approaching the male curving and shaking her body towards the male. The first day he pretty much ignored her but the last 2 days he's become more aggressive towards her-- nipping at her fins and belly. I have notice some pieces of her tail missing but it's not terrible. Sometimes she will try and hide from him, but either he will find her or she will go and try shaking in front of him again. Then it starts over with him chasing and nipping at her.

He is larger than her-- approximately 2 inches while she is 1.5. What should I do? They have many hiding places and caves, a couple java fern plants, tank has been cycled, nitrates 20, nitrites 0, ph is around 8.4 which I know is high but it comes out of the tap like that. It was the same at the fish store. Filter is penn plax cascade 700 which seachem matrix & chemipure.

Oh, and the male does calm down a bit when I turn the tank lights off and allows the female to sift through the sand near him, but will still nip and chase her sometimes. She just keeps trying to shimmy and shake and it's not working. Should I take her out and try another female? Opposite? Help.

2. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

are you sure it's a female and male?
    when it comes to kribs females are the aggressive one and the one who choose which male she wants to be with and not the other way around.

can you take a picture of them?

3. OP
    OP
    Emcastan

Emcastan New Member Member

Yes, I am pretty confident they are male and female. The female is the one with the very red belly, you can see her curving in a couple photos

Attached Files:

4. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

They look a lovely pair of fish. It's a shame they are not getting along just now. She is doing her best so I don't think she is the problem. Maybe he's not ready to mate and/or is still establishing his territory? Hopefully this will change.

I can remember they don't always see eye to eye, even ones who have been inseparable earlier. I had one pair who stuck close together like magnets but when I moved them to a breeding tank one time the female tried to drive away the male and when he would not go (because he wanted to help with the rearing of the young) she ate the eggs. Another time they were returned to the community tank and she had to hide out of his way until I seperated them for a while. But they were later compatible again. So, they can be unpredictable.