Aggressive Male Gourami, Female With Eggs

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello, I really don't know what do. I have 1 male gourami and 2 females. The male has been super snappy and territorial towards everyone in tank. He was building bubble nest and chasing females constantly. And they are even missing scales and were visibly stressed. Everyone including me is lol.

I have moved the male to his own tank today. He is super unhappy about being alone. At the same time I noticed one female (smaller submissive one) is bloated in the front part. I am quiet sure she is having belly full of eggs. So I thought the male in new tank could be bit more insecure and I wanted to put the female to him at least over night or for 24h so she release the eggs. But s soon as I put her in there in plastic bag to acclimatize her, the male RIGHT away turned on his spawning mode, changed color and started to try to attract her.

It scared me because I didnt want him to get aggressive towards her in the small tank where she has nowhere to run. So I didnt even released her there, I put her back in the main tank. Can she drop the eggs by herself? Should I put him back to the main tank? Should I put her in his small (8 gallon) tank?
I cannot decide what is the right to do. I dont want to potentially cause her trouble with holding eggs, she is my favorite fish.

Tesla

Valued Member
Reaction score
You can try adding some floating moss to give space to female to get out sight for few if needed. Watch and if you see the make attacking and n0t mating with the female then get the female out.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tesla said:
You can try adding some floating moss to give space to female to get out sight for few if needed. Watch and if you see the make attacking and n0t mating with the female then get the female out.
DoubleDutch said:
Any pics of the fish and the tank?
There is more water in the big tank than on the picture, but I cannot fill it up all the way because of the fry box. I believe i have lot of plants and hiding spots. The females always have where to hide. The problem is the male chases non stop and then they just give up. They did spawn with him for several days already, even released some eggs, but he has been becoming more and more aggressive by each day. Last days the females basically came out just to ate, otherwise he chased them when he seen them.

He is now in the tank with the white rocks. The one which is most likely carrying eggs is the one behind the other female. I could not take a better picture now because they are sleeping already. ALL the fishes including the females are muuuch more calmer and even have better colors without the male present. I am thinking about putting him back in there tomorrow, maybe he will be calmed down overnight. In worst case I would take him back to small tank. I would just feel bad if I have to transfer him back to small tank again, I don't want to stress him either.

Attachments

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DoubleDutch said:
Asking myself if you don't have more males than 1
The thing is, I am super confused about that too! I am 100% sure that the one in front, on the picture with both 'females' is a female. She spawned with the male before and I seen eggs come out and I even have their fry. And it is super confusing because the one behind her stays most of the time pale with very visible black line, but put on the same 'mating colors' as the other female when the male chases her. I swear both of the 'females' were spawning with the male ... which I though confirmed they are both females. AND also the one which is questionable is the one that looks swollen up front like if carrying eggs. But also now that the male is gone, the 100% female turned really dark color and the swollen up one stays pale. I am hoping that tomorrow it will have on some more distinct colors.

I thought it was just me being paranoid about my fishes genders after i seen both spawn with the male. But since you mentioned it too... it makes me to reconsider it.

Just to add to that, the one which is on picture hiding under the coconut is the one which is gender unsure. I know that it sounds strange because it has the clear female signs, but I've seen the other female to drop eggs before.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom