Aggressive Male Cichlids

edevingo

I inherited a tank from a family member 6 months ago and I've surprisingly become addicted to these cichlids. I currently have 13 in a 60 gallontank 3 of which are Male Red Zebras. My 3 red zebras are aggressive to say the leaat, they seem not so much territorial but just aggresive towards eachother. They basically ignore everyone else in the tank. Since there's females in the tank, my question is if I remove them and put them in a separate tank with no females will the aggressive behavior continue? They are not slowing down at this point and I'm afraid someone is going to get killed and I don't want that. Any advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Ernest Sacco

edevingo said:
I inherited a tank from a family member 6 months ago and I've surprisingly become addicted to these cichlids. I currently have 13 in a 60 gallontank 3 of which are Male Red Zebras. My 3 red zebras are aggressive to say the leaat, they seem not so much territorial but just aggresive towards eachother. They basically ignore everyone else in the tank. Since there's females in the tank, my question is if I remove them and put them in a separate tank with no females will the aggressive behavior continue? They are not slowing down at this point and I'm afraid someone is going to get killed and I don't want that. Any advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.
are they locking lips or just flashing? you have 3 options to deal with this...first remove both males and put them in separate quarantine tanks for a while and then re-introduce them...ive done this before and it acts as a reset......second you could just get rid of one male... third and usually not recommended with africans you could try to create to distinct territories for the males...these are just my ideas and 2 of the three I have successfully used.

edevingo

I have not seen them lip lock but they do circle eachother and one grabbed onto the others side, which he is in Qt. I've switched around my tank a few times, even made separate stacked slate cave areas for them but they just seem to have onething on their mind and that's to take eachother out. I just hate the thought of rehoming them and didn't know if putting them in a no female tank would at least stop them some. I'm determined to try everything and I guess last resort will be buying a 3rd tank. I appreciate your input and advice. There's so much info out there and I would've never thought I'd become so obsessed with these dang fish! Lol

Ernest Sacco

edevingo said:
I have not seen them lip lock but they do circle eachother and one grabbed onto the others side, which he is in Qt. I've switched around my tank a few times, even made separate stacked slate cave areas for them but they just seem to have onething on their mind and that's to take eachother out. I just hate the thought of rehoming them and didn't know if putting them in a no female tank would at least stop them some. I'm determined to try everything and I guess last resort will be buying a 3rd tank. I appreciate your input and advice. There's so much info out there and I would've never thought I'd become so obsessed with these dang fish! Lol
if you would want to set up an all male tank youd ned a few more males... just those two alone would contine to kill eachother...If you can afford another tank I would split the herd amongst the two tanks with each male getting a harem

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom