Aggressive Male Brevis

carsonsgjs

Hi everyone, hope someone can help.

ive recently set up a 28g with 6 brevis - 1 male and female went in first followed the next day by another 4 (from what i can work out i have 2 males, and maybe 2 females in that group). The male and female seem to be full grown whereas the other 4 seem fairly young - half the size of the mature pair. The tank is separated into a few different areas by rocks with more than enough shells provided.

unfortunately the mature male seems to think he owns the entire tank - i havent noticed him in a shell for a while as he just likes to sit among the rocks at the back of the tank. He doesnt seem too interested in breeding with the female (despite her best efforts to attract him) as he is far too busy patrolling the entire tank bullying the other 4 fish. There hasnt been any real damage done to the other fish yet but i feel like their quality of life is suffering - two hide behind the filter constantly, one hides under a rock and the other has managed to find a shell but is regularly chased into it by the big male. Any time they try and creep out, he attacks them and drives them back.

So do i need to get rid of this male? I had pinned all my hopes on him being a fry machine but im beginning to realise that he may have to go if im to have a relatively peaceful tank with maybe some of the others pairing up.

any advice is welcome.

jkkgron2

Sounds like rehoming may be the best option. You could also try adding in some more hardscape, but it sounds like lack of hardscape isn’t an issue. If the 4 younger ones are half the size of the mature male, I don’t think he’s going to stop bulling them, he sees them as a threat to his territory and right now they’re too small to be able to beat him or defend any territory he may want.

Upvote 0

carsonsgjs

Sounds like rehoming may be the best option. You could also try adding in some more hardscape, but it sounds like lack of hardscape isn’t an issue. If the 4 younger ones are half the size of the mature male, I don’t think he’s going to stop bulling them, he sees them as a threat to his territory and right now they’re too small to be able to beat him or defend any territory he may want.
Thanks, i sort of knew that would be the answer but wanted to hear it independently. Ive given them a few weeks to see if things would sort themselves out but it seems to be getting worse. I could understand if they were guarding fry but i dont think he has even noticed the flirty female - hes too busy trying to kill!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
carsonsgjs
  • Question
Replies
Views
Demeter
Replies
Views