Aggressive Lemon Tetras Help

Discussion in 'Tetras' started by fishrlene, Jul 6, 2019.

1. fishrlene

fishrleneValued MemberMember

I currently have 3 Lemon Tetras who are being aggressive towards each other. This morning, I found one with a ripped fin. They’ll sometimes try to go after the Rasboras too, but the aggression is mainly within their own species. I was going to get 3 more of them, but now I don’t know. Don’t want any aggressive fishes in my community tank.

They have also lost their yellow body colour. So I don’t know if they’re happy with my tank parameters. I have a naturally high pH (8.2). Other water parameters are great (0-Ammonia, 0-Nitrite, 0.5-Nitrate).

Help ...

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Depending on how long you’ve had them they could b establishing their territory but with their color loss and ripped fin on one it seems they are in too small of a school and stressing out. I would either regime them and try a different schooler or up the school so their are more of them to pick on each other the one wit the ripped fins could be getting bullied by both of them. Depending on the size of your tank another 4-6 would probably be best. Good luck!!

3. Ravynn

RavynnWell Known MemberMember

I would keep 10 of them instead of 6, you'll have more of a mix of males and females that way.

4. OP
    OP
    fishrlene

I’ve only had them for a week. Hopefully they’ll be happier/brighter when their numbers are up. *fingers crossed*.

5. bigdreams

bigdreamsWell Known MemberMember

You want at least 6 lemon tetras to start. I got 7 to start about two years ago and now have 16 or so. They bred in my tank on their own. Mine seemed "aggressive" but they were actually setting up pecking order and spawning. See my video to see the "swooshing airplane" move and jostling for alpha male status.

6. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Sure they will. One of the most beautiful and easiest tetras when kept in the right conditions.

7. OP
    OP
    fishrlene

Beautiful tank! Yes, mine do that too but not as aggressively. I have a dark background too and I thought their colour was washed out because of something I’m doing wrong, but it’s just the background. I see yours is the same way.

Are your bigger fishes Gouramis? Trying to decide on a centrepiece fish.

Also, your cardinals look great with the lemons. I might consider them instead of the Rummynose.

Thanks for your input and the video! It was really helpful.

8. OP
    OP
    fishrlene

UPDATE: after adding the other 3 lemons, the aggression seems to have died down a bit. Their yellow body tint is still not there, but I have come to realize that it’s because of my dark background and dark substrate. So, there’s really not much I can do.

9. bigdreams

bigdreamsWell Known MemberMember

It took mine about 9months to color up. !!! Mine months. I haven't uploaded recent photos, will post soon. That video is over a year old. They aren't brilliant yellow but a subtle tone instead. When the males are "on" the color is impressive . Like Gary Lange says about his rainbows, they aren't always "on" but when they are it's impressive. I think it has to do with food, water conditions and spawning readiness. So give it time and treat them well.

10. OP
    OP
    fishrlene

Oh wow! 9 months, that’s quite some time. I’ll be patient with them. I love their yellow fins and red eyelids. When I got the last 3, they’re pretty yellow. While they’re still in the bag, I put the bag against a black bottom and black background and the yellow tint was gone. But once I moved the bag away from the dark background and bottom, you can see their yellow bodies again. That’s how I found out it’s my tank colour and not them. Hopefully they’ll colour up like yours in time. Thanks!

11. angelcraze

angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

I only have 2 lemons left, but I adopted 6 of them 6 years ago. They were pretty aggressive for a tetra I suppose, but they mostly always stuck to their own like you say and I loved the activity they brought to the tank. Def planning on restocking.

I'm glad the larger group is working out better. For tetras always go with a larger group than 5, it usually works itself out with more being better if you have the space.

For reference my lemons in the middle of a water change in my 120g.

Just them sparring like normal

12. OP
    OP
    fishrlene

Yeah I was surprised at their aggression because from what I’ve read, they’re pretty peaceful community fishes. I’m finding the Rasboras can be as aggressive too. Lol!

I didn’t know you can keep angels with Tetras. Your angels are beautiful! Also, is that a green crypto plant? It’s gorgeous!

13. angelcraze

angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Yes they are more active and nippy then others tetras I find. But I've only had them in a smaller group of 6. With tetras the more the merrier, but they really only bothered with their own.

And yes! You can keep tetras and smaller fish with angels. They just have to be deeper bodied and NOT torpedo shaped like cardinal and rummynose to reduce the chances of them being eaten. My angels have never ate or bothered with the tetras except for chasing them away from eggs. Even then some ppl keep smaller torpedo shaped tetras with angels no problem. I just wouldn't completely trust them if they can fit the fish in their mouths.

It's one of the things I love about angelfish. I always loved the look of a large group of tetras or smaller fish with larger fish. I prefer tetras and fish from South America to mix with my angels. I have my eye out for pencil fish.

Thank you very much for the compliment on my angels. I love my angels so much :) I think you are looking at stargrass. I loved that plant in that tank, but one of my angels taught the others pulling it out and chewing on the new leaves was a fun game. So no more stargrass for this tank until I swap out all the angels. Lol how they teach eachother bad habits.