Aggressive Lemon Tetras, Advice Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackiejax

Reaction score
I have a 29 gallon with 8 lemon tetras, 9 rummynose tetras, and 9 neons. On Sunday I added 5 panda cories. I noticed some aggression between the lemons before now but it seems to have gotten worse. There’s a chunk bitten out of one of the lemons. And now I just noticed one of the pandas tails is basically gone The pandas were really active the first day I got them and now they’re all just hiding in a corner. Every time one does swim out the lemons follow them. Any insight on why a “peaceful” fish would be acting this way or how to proceed? At this point, I’m thinking I have to bring them back to my LFS.

candiedragon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's really baffling. Tetras are pretty curious fish so I can understand checking out new tank mates. Have you actually witnessed aggression amongst the fish? I understand that Lemon Tetras will establish pecking orders among themselves but I don't know if that would ever result in a chunk of a fish missing. Otherwise I could only think that you are witnessing that and coincidentally one of the lemons so happens to have developed something that the panda corys may have introduced if you had not quarantined them.

OP
J

Jackiejax

Reaction score
That's really baffling. Tetras are pretty curious fish so I can understand checking out new tank mates. Have you actually witnessed aggression amongst the fish? I understand that Lemon Tetras will establish pecking orders among themselves but I don't know if that would ever result in a chunk of a fish missing. Otherwise I could only think that you are witnessing that and coincidentally one of the lemons so happens to have developed something that the panda corys may have introduced if you had not quarantined them.
I’ve witnessed aggression between lemons, not towards the cories though. I’m pretty sure the chunk missing from the lemon is from another lemon. It’s part of the fin that runs along the bottom of his body and it seemed to happen overnight. I started my tank with 5 and later added 3 more that were much bigger and they seemed to bully the original ones. As for the Cory, since he is so new I’m not positive that he had his whole tail when I got him so I can’t be sure what happened.

candiedragon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ah, okay so they are keeping among themselves. Not sure if it's so much bullying as it is establishing their pecking order. I would just recommend keeping a watchful eye and make sure to do your water changes to keep it clean and avoid an infection.

Now this might be silly but it might just be silly enough to work... I have two male Pearl Gourami but I introduced them at different times and once the second one was added there was constant dispute between the two. Never experienced that before as all my years with Pearls I only witnessed their natural chill nature. So what I did was I took both Pearl Gourami out of their tank and put them in another tank for a whole day. The next morning, I reintroduced them back to their tank together and they got along perfectly then. I call it a team-bonding experience. You're welcome to call me crazy lol. You could try something like that with your school of Lemon Tetras and see if that gets them to bond and play nicer with each other. They will still chase each other around but hopefully it would help dispel the tension.

As for the cory, keep a watchful eye on him as well to make sure he doesn't get an infection neither. It's possible that his tail was already like that beforehand. They say lots of water changes will help promote fin growth. I have a school of Yellow Phantom Tetra (aka Red Tail Tetra) and one of them I have come to name "Pintail" because she seems to be missing the upper fork of her tail. Not sure if she was like that already or it happened shortly after bringing them home but she swims just fine and acts normally.

Dann

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ive kept lots of verieties of tetras, they are normally very laid back fish. i agree this is baffeling.

ive kept lots of verieties of tetras, they are normally very laid back fish. i agree this is baffeling.
im fearly certain that the tetras arnt doing any damage. small tetras, lemons included can and sometimes will fin nip, but rearly to the point of issue, more shocking, against something as large as a correy. my guess is that the lemons are chasing but not acting aggressive. the real agresser is probably biting after the lights go out. my experiance, fish arnt stupid and can be very sneeky as to not be cought by the one that feeds them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom