Aggressive juvie ram

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by eltoro, Dec 14, 2012.

1. eltoro

eltoro Valued Member Member

In my 40B I planned on getting a pair of ram with a lone angelfish as centerpieces. I got the angel 3 months ago and it has grown from dime size to half dollar size. I was a bit scared introducing a juvie female ram to the tank, afraid that the angel might show some aggression towards it.

It turns out it was the other way around. The first few days the ram would hang with the cories under the driftwood, then it got more comfortable and started swimming around the tank and around the angel. The two would swim near each other and eventually the ram would "threaten" the angel, causing the angel to swim a few inches away. This amazes me since the angel is literally double the size of the ram.

As I said earlier, I was planning on a pair of rams, but seeing the nature of this ram I'm thinking this won't be such a great idea. What would you guys do in this situation or should I not even worry about it?

2. Siggi

Siggi Well Known Member Member

Get the pair for the ram - it might help having one of its own to direct its attention to.
    If not, got to get another tank for the rams..........

3. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Do they both have places to hide? There's a chance the ram may feel insecure.

4. OP
    OP
    eltoro

eltoro Valued Member Member

So I had the time & got a male EBR for her, at least I think it's a male. She stopped bothering the angel now and mainly chases the EBR whenever she sees him.

There are no hiding spots per say in my tank. It is heavily planted though and a fish could easily hide in the plants. It's one of the reasons I've barely seen the female ram when she wasn't chasing someone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice