Aggressive Guppies

alp03

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
HI,

We recently added 4 male guppies to our 55 gallon tank and they were fine for the first week or so but now they have become really aggressive to a couple of the Platys in the tank. Other than removing them from the tank, do I have any other options?

I currently have 4 female zebra danios, 2 mollies (1 male & 1 female), 1 male rainbow shark, a male pleco, 4 Platys (2 males/2 females) and now the 4 male Guppies. We also have 7 Platy fry in a isolated tank within the tank.

Thanks in advance!

Hommicidalclownfish

Reaction score
IME male guppies don’t really do good if there aren’t any females, they tend to be more aggressive without them. I usually keep at least 3-4 females to each male in the tank

OP
alp03

alp03

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks for the response! I've been reading that but I am not sure I have much room left to add more fish without overstocking the tank. Do you think if I added 3-4 females it would settle them down?

Hommicidalclownfish

Reaction score
It might calm them towards the other fish but the females would probably die from being harassed by the males if you only added 4 because that would leave a male to female ratio of 1 to 1. And the males try to mate so much and the females can’t handle it but the males don’t know that so they just keep trying and it’ll eventually kill that female. That’s why the male to female ratio should be like 1 to 4 so the male can “sleep around” I guess you could say hahaha. But that’ll divide his attention between the females so they can all get a break from him

Nataku

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Guppies will try to breed with anything so this isn't surprising.
What does the tank look like?
You might try adding more hiding spots and breaks in line of sight for the platies to get away from the guppies. Tall plants, floating plants, driftwood etc.

OP
alp03

alp03

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nataku said:
Guppies will try to breed with anything so this isn't surprising.
What does the tank look like?
You might try adding more hiding spots and breaks in line of sight for the platies to get away from the guppies. Tall plants, floating plants, driftwood etc.
Thanks for the response! We have several hiding spots and 2 large plants. I ended up taking them back and everyone seems happier now!

OP
alp03

alp03

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hommicidalclownfish said:
It might calm them towards the other fish but the females would probably die from being harassed by the males if you only added 4 because that would leave a male to female ratio of 1 to 1. And the males try to mate so much and the females can’t handle it but the males don’t know that so they just keep trying and it’ll eventually kill that female. That’s why the male to female ratio should be like 1 to 4 so the male can “sleep around” I guess you could say hahaha. But that’ll divide his attention between the females so they can all get a break from him
Thanks! They went back and all seems better now!

Cyclsnipas

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I almost bought 4 male KoI Guppy's today. Glad I found this thread before I did!

New Threads