Aggressive Fish

1. A

Alex F New Member Member

In a state where Piranha are illegal, what's the next best thing? Are there any not terribly hard to care for, aggressive as piranha, freshwater LEGAL fish?

2. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Arowana, alligator gar. How big were you looking to go?

3. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

Define "best".
    I have spent a lot of time around piranhas at work, and while the pound plus ones are not to be trifled with, they aren't that aggressive.
    Are you looking for a fish that lives alone in a larger, piranha sized tank, like Hoplias malabaricus? That fish is aggressive... PacMan catfish are something to see.
    But there are so many hardcore predators in the monster fish hobby. Not many aquarists have tanks adequate for them, and most of them die slow deaths from bad conditions.

4. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Snakehead? Gar? Red Tail Baracuda? Oscar? Any other large South American Cichlid? Frontosa? African Malawi?

5. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Also, Why? Seems most people that ask questions like this are teens wanting an aggressive fish so they can throw feeders in and brag to their friends, "Hey, Check out my killer fish! It's mean as, brah!"

6. Kenny777

Agree why do you want to do an Aggressive tank @Alex F you could do a lot more with a community and an aggressive tank is cool but a lot more work IMO because with a Community you just need to do flakes, brine shrimp and etc but with an aggressive tank you need to do feeder fish and some can be bad for the health.

7. m

matt123 Valued Member Member

My friend who lives in NY got piranhas in the bronx, they were actually remarkably friendly, unless there was blood in their water.

8. m

matt123 Valued Member Member

He also had an aligator gar, he was kind of boring.

9. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Gars get way too big.

Get yourself a mean oscar.

10. OP
    OP
    A

Alex F New Member Member

Nah I'm just intrested in aggressive fish, finally got a good house being in the army and i have snakes so I like aggressives

11. OP
    OP
    A

Alex F New Member Member

I would get piranhas but they're illegal in North Carolina and I don't want the housing people on base to see them and trip out lol

12. OP
    OP
    A

Alex F New Member Member

I'll have to look into them thanks

13. OP
    OP
    A

Alex F New Member Member

Honestly only have a 36 gallon at the moment

14. Kenny777

If you only have a 36g I would suggest dwarf puffers, tiger barbs or just a bigger tank.

15. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure what kind of super aggressive fish you could reasonably house in a 36. There are some smaller cichlids that are pretty mean, though I'm drawing a blank on names right now, but if you're looking for an enormous fish with teeth sticking out its mouth like a Wolf Cichlid you'd need a much bigger tank.

16. Kenny777

I wonder if maybe you could do bucktooth tetras? But I think those need a bigger tank. You could also do Serpae Tetras

17. NavigatorBlack

Generally, predatory fish have to be bigger than their prey, so a 29 gives you almost no options.

18. NavigatorBlack

Hey, maybe a Malawi Eye Biter Cichlid. They are hard to find, so you'll have to... keep an eye out.

19. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

Just thinking, if you don't have much space you could trade the tank you've got for a few five gallon tanks and get a male Betta for each. Bettas are relatively easy to care for, and so aggressive (males anyway) you can only keep one per tank. While their aggression level (at least for members of their own species) is off the charts, my guess is they don't have that killer 'take your hand off' look you might be after, though some of the shorter finned males in dark colors do look pretty kick-butt.

20. NavigatorBlack

I am not into aggressive fish, but to me, Bettas are easy going, calm fish. I see no serious aggression in them.
    True, they were bred for fighting and only an idiot, a psycho or a bloodsport gambler would put 2 males together in a small tank - but that can be said for an awful lot of fish. They have always been peaceful community fish if the tank was a decent size here - and that's from someone who kept at least one, constantly, for over 40 years.