Aggressive Female Pearl Gourami

1. Ryba Initiate Member

So I recently got a pair of pearl gourami, both of which are female. (I had a thread with pictures before) Now after a couple of weeks one of the females, the larger one is being aggressive towards the other. She chases her sporaticly, sometimes she swims with her, sometime she chases her to the other end of the tank. So far, there have not been any nipped fins whatsoever, none but I worry that this will escalate. Also, the submissive female doesn't't seem to be stressed by the chasing, since she hasn't lost any color but I still worry. I searched all over the internet but all I find are aggressive males not females. Is this just normals pearl gourami behavior? I've been debating on whether or not I should buy a male gourami which could possible curb the female aggression? What do you guys think?
    The pair are in a standard 55 gallon aquarium and the aggressive female leaves the tankmates alon, it's only the other female and again, it sporatic.

2. Karlie Initiate Member

Don't buy a male. The aggression will get worse.
    I do not know much about the Pearl Gourami but I have 3 male Flame Gourami. I was told in order to keep more than one they each had to have a cave and they had to be on separate sides of the tank to establish territories. Plants were also a good way to help separate the two territories. If they have that already then I suggest moving the stuff around and re introduce them. If that still doesn't work then return the aggressive one to your LFS (she may just be aggressive) and try again or keep only one.