Aggressive female betta

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by AquaticBrandon, Aug 6, 2014.

1. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I've been having a female betta for about a year now. People say that female bettas are less aggressive as male bettas. But it's the other way around for my betta. My betta is the most aggressive fish I had ever kept. I tried putting her with community fish such as platies and neons and she would chase them around and flare at them. Recently I had put a female betta with her since I heard female bettas can be kept together (Btw they were in a 10 gallon) after a few seconds of meeting they started flaring at each other and fighting! Which was really surprising. I ended up returning the new betta and keeping the old one in the 10 gallon by herself. I have a male betta and he is the most peaceful betta I've seen. He is sooo friendly! So I was just wondering if it's Just my female betta that is aggressive or all females? Sorry for the long post

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. FiscCyning

FiscCyning Valued Member Member

Even females can be aggressive. It just depends on the individual fish, but most bettas are quite aggressive. The only time females can be kept together is in a sorority tank, which must be significantly larger than 10 gallons and have a larger group of female bettas so their aggression is spread out. Even then, sorority tanks are somewhat controversial as many times they will end badly, even if the fish had been getting along for a while. If you want two bettas in your 10 gallon, it would have to be divided so they are kept separate.

3. OP
    OP
    AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Yeah I think it does have to do with the individual betta . I'm keeping her alone in the 10 gallon. Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Female Bettas can be even more feisty than the males.
    Years ago I had a sorority of 7, it was the most aggressive tank of fish I'd ever had, never a peaceful moment I'd never do it again my stress levels have only just recovered! ;)

5. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Anyone who says female bettas are less aggressive than males is lying. Flat out lol. I've lost enough males to females during spawning to know this.

For future reference, keeping two females together is only going to result in one of them getting killed. Sororities can work, but require a large group of females in a much larger tank than you have. I would strongly advise simply keeping yours alone for her life.

6. U

UniqueBettas New Member Member

depends on their nature and personality i have one who is a veil that i like to call a female dog and she loves to chase the other girls in total she has never killed any of the others. but yes i agree with junebug on the sororities.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice